0 PPM phosphate reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
About a month ago, I was having slightly high phosphate readings (0.1). So I started using GFO and biopellets. I tested today, and my phosphate was 0. I test with salifert and it definitely wasn't up to 0.03 ppm. Should I cut back on GFO or blame a faulty test.

Extra info - 90g tank. 100-150 lbs of live rock, eshopps skimmer (I run it fairly dry because I can't keep up with it), dual reactor running GFO and biopellets, and a refugium with cheato. I have a bit of algae on the glass, but I believe just as much as most people get. What I've recently scraped, has not come back.

Im just starting at this, but my buddy was telling me he had some really nasty algae, but his phosphate was reading 0. What everyone told him was that he had high phosphate or something else, and the algae was just consuming every bit of it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If same test kit was reading 0.1 before and now it reads 0 then I would not say that it is faulty. Salifert is a good test kit and I'm using it also. Just take note that you are comparing colors and the 0.03 is almost white. I suggest using a natural light so you can really see the difference.

If same test kit was reading 0.1 before and now it reads 0 then I would not say that it is faulty. Salifert is a good test kit and I'm using it also. Just take note that you are comparing colors and the 0.03 is almost white. I suggest using a natural light so you can really see the difference.

It was definitely straight white. I couldn't see a hint of blue. I put the test bottle on top of 0.03 and looked down from top. For redundancy, I will test my freshwater tank, where I dose phosphate.

Ill start feeding more. I have a low amount of fish and theyre all fat, so I feed a small amount about the every week.

Back
Top Bottom