10-20 gal planted setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My dad has a ton of tanks from 10 to 20 gallons that he is going to give me. I'm going to take probably a 20 and his smaller 5 gal and turn them in to planted tanks. What's the best setup for a 10 or 20 gallon planted?

HOB or (R)UGF filter?
What about lighting? I.E. Where can I get something for these smaller tanks and still have mid-level lighting?
In conjunction with lighting, what about CO2? At what point is it needed?

All too much to ask and oh so much to read. Too many decisions.... I'm so glad I have all of you to help me make the decisions!!!! 8)

Definitely HOB. UGF doesn't work on planted tanks. Since your starting new, get yourself eco-complete for substrate. You will need at least one watt a gallon for low light plants. You will need to inject CO2 once you get over 2 watts per gallon. Fortunately you can DIY for a 20 gallon without a problem. Just remember that once you get over 2 watts per gallon you will have to deal with dosing macros and all that fun stuff. Good Luck.

Kudos to Rich for all correct information :)

If you haven't read them already FMJ, read the stickies at the top of this forum for lots of specific info on planted tanks.

20gal is a great size...5gal is tricky...don't try to make it anything more than a low light tank. Small tanks need MORE light than larger tanks to qualify as high light. For example, 60watts is all you need for a 20 gallon to grow naything...3wpg. But a 5gal..you'd need at least 30 watts, which is 6wpg.

I'd get a little screw-in power compact bulb for the 5gallon lighting. It'll support crypts and java ferns, and anubias nana will grow amazingly well at such a low light level.

Back
Top Bottom