10 g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would I be able to put a gourami and some pigmy cory catfish in a planted 10 gallon tank? I was thinking about 5 corys but not sure what type of gourami yet

There are some gouramis that are suitable for a 10g. A dwarf gourami, sparkling gourami, or a paradise fish. If you get the paradise fish though I wouldn't get any other fish as they are quite ruthless.

If I got a peaceful goirami, such has honey or dwarf, would they be ok with a group of cory catfish by themself, or are they more comfortable with about her gourami

One may would work not sure about the sparkling as I have never owned you but I will warn you the honey is a dwarf gourami and from my personal experience I would not classify the dwarf as a peaceful fish really depends on the individual I have had some that will try to kill everything in the tank constantly ramming and have had a couple that are chill and don't bother any other fish in the tank unless it is another dwarf.. In which case they would fight constantly.. So I guess it really comes down to the I individual fish that you get and it's personality.. Whatever you do I would not get more than 1 gourami especially in a small tank like yours

I have a dwarf in with 5 corries and he doesn't bother them at all. Like it's been said though depends on personality.

Honey Gouramis are smaller and more peaceful than Dwarf Gouramis. Better suited to a10g IMHO.

There are only three Cory species that can be in a 10g long term.
Corydoras pygmaeus http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=283

C hastatus http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=324

C habrosus http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=482

I've had 2 of the three. They are pygmy species, but only one is called Pygmy Cory.

My habrosus , I had 5.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401811068.237133.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say that honey gourami's or smaller or more peaceful than dwarf gourami.. Could be the particular fish you got honey g. Get up to 2.5 to 3 inches where as dwarf g rarely exceed 2 inches so about the same.. Personality is almost identical from what I read they only difference between them is the honey tend to be a little wider.. Both have similar personality as they are from the same line gourami dawrf.. And dwarf tend to be more prevalent to buy.. At least in my area.. would probably do fine with juli Cory or other small ones just depends on the fish I would keep an eye on it! Probably best not to buy more than one though that's where the majority of your problems will come in! Also I have noticed they tend to be a little sickly so make sure you carefully select the fish you intend to get.. And always best to quarantine! Best of luck

Have you maybe thought of a 10 gallon brackish tank?

I have 3 bumble bee gobys (The gobys are less than an inch in length) in a 10 gallon along with 1 balloon Mollie to help clean up after the gobys. It is heavily planted. The gobys have one of the best personalities I have seen in fish.

However, the Gobys are strictly carnivores, but the amount of food they consume is very small.

I add 2 tablespoons of marine salt per week to keep it at 1.004....so the cost is very economical.

A honey gourami would be perfect for a ten gal, and I agree that they're smaller and more peaceful than the sometimes temperamental DG. I have pygmy cories in my 10g and I love them.

I wouldn't say that honey gourami's or smaller or more peaceful than dwarf gourami.. Could be the particular fish you got honey g. Get up to 2.5 to 3 inches where as dwarf g rarely exceed 2 inches so about the same.. Personality is almost identical from what I read they only difference between them is the honey tend to be a little wider.. Both have similar personality as they are from the same line gourami dawrf.. And dwarf tend to be more prevalent to buy.. At least in my area.. would probably do fine with juli Cory or other small ones just depends on the fish I would keep an eye on it! Probably best not to buy more than one though that's where the majority of your problems will come in! Also I have noticed they tend to be a little sickly so make sure you carefully select the fish you intend to get.. And always best to quarantine! Best of luck

I was a manager at a LFS as well as working later at a big box store. Our Honey Gouramis came in smaller and stayed smaller than DGs. We often got DGs returned, esp if kept in small tanks. Plus DGs in my area started coming down with DG disease. Honeys were never returned and stayed healthier IME.

I recommend live plants and frozen/thawed bloodworms and brine shrimp as main diet. Not just flakes. Same for Cories. Cories can also eat sinking catfish or shrimp pellets.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I believe the Main thing I was trying to say is that in my personal opinion where I ran into problems with in general is when you keep more than 1 especially in a ten gallon.. That is the only time I have ran into aggression! the dwarf gourami I have now is one of the calmest and least aggressive fish I have which I think largely influenced by the DG's individual personality or the stock that my LFS received.. as far as size I completely respect your opinion and was not trying to be offensive but I Personally do not consider a quarter of an inch statically significant esp in two fish with very similar build and size alone between the two should not be a determinate factor on which fish to go with.. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom