10 gal for noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JFortner5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to get a 10 gal tank for me and my family to enjoy. As of now I'd like to start with the small tank.

My son received a betta in a bowl for his birthday. I can't stand to see the fish in that tiny thing. That prompted me to look into a real aquarium.

For the size I am looking at would I be better off buying a kit with everything or buying a cheap tank and piecing it together myself? If a kit is the way to go are there any brands to avoid?

Thanks, I've really enjoyed reading the forum here and am trying to learn.

Joey

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Really just depends, sales and things can sway that. I'd go window shopping with some paper and pen (or internet shopping) and do a price check. Will you be putting the betta in the 10 gallon? He would love that, and you could probably get him a few friends. When pricing your stuff remember that most fish you see, including your betta, will need a heater. Heaters usually don't come in the kits, so double check.

Edit: betta needs one too

craigslist is even cheaper sometimes! And many stores have good sales that make them cheaper than walmart, although walmart will price match. Another thing to think about it that the kits usually come with the bare minimum filters, usually you want a better one than what comes with the kits.

The betta will be going in, and the plan is to get a few more fish as well.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but the kits from what I hear use mostly the cheapest parts they can get away with.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Well if you can wait a bit you can always shop second hand. Yardsales, craigslist, facebook. Most people can find great deals there, but you have to wait for it sometimes.

Edit: Also, if you are going to put the betta in make sure you find compatable fish as bettas have a bad rap about not getting along with some fish.

I'd buy just the tank and hood, get the filter and heater separately.You'll get a better deal in the long run this way as the components in a kit are just the bare minimum. Most kits will come with a filter sized for a 10 gallon tank, when what you really need is filter that is about double the capacity, made for a 20 gallon tank. Tetra makes a decent 10 gallon kit except the filter is substandard. So you can replace that filter with a better one and keep the kit filter as a back up in case your main filter fails.

My local Petsmart has had a decent sale on Aqueon power filters. They are nice and the Aqueon Quietflow 10 was only about $8 on sale and it is sized for a 20 gallon tank. Don't forget some gravel and decorations/hiding places for the tank as well. All totaled it should probably run about $50 or so if you start with the Tetra kit and add a new filter plus your gravel/decorations.

I'm with jglover on this. Never spend the money for a "complete kit". Get a tank with hood and light, then get heater and filter individually. U will spend a little more money initially but, in the long run, you'll save money by not having to repeatedly spend money. I'm fixing to put an aqueon 55/75 on my daughter's 29 g tall. It's rated at 400 gph but gives a turn over of 13.something an hour. Makes for happier, healthier fish. Just get a filter that leaves you room to experiment with what you use for filtration. And get a heater rated for an aquarium twice the size your getting. It will get the water to temp faster, and will run less which saves money. Good luck and don't over stock.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom