10 gal with guppies looking for tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm looking for some tank mates for a 10 gal with some guppies. We just had a bunch of fry and at this point I can't tell if they are male or female and have no other place to put any more fry, so I'm looking for suggestions for maybe a nice tank mate that would like to eat fry as well as some malaysian snails that have started to take over. I have heard a loach could be a good eater, but don't think any would do well in a 10 gallon tank. I know prevention is the key and can use lettuce to trap them, but would like a new friend too ;)

With guppies already in there there isn't much else you can put into a 10g without it being over stocked if it isn't already with guppies. How many adult guppies are there? They will eat their own fry if there aren't spots for them to hide (you mentioned a fish to eat fry)

In a small tank like that loaches would be a bad idea- they get big and they need to be in groups. I would look into an assassin snail or like you mentioned a trap for them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, There are only 3 adult guppies that we plan to keep and the rest of the fry (13 now) are getting new homes. :)

With all due respect, for the love of all things loachy, please don't put clown loaches or any other kind of loach in a 10 gallon tank. They are magnificent and LARGE fish.

If you have interest in keeping clown loaches or any other kind of loach please read these!

Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) — Loaches Online
My Clown Loach Aquarium — Loaches Online
An Introduction To Keeping Botia — Loaches Online

Assassin snails would help get rid of your snail problem. As far as tankmates, you're pretty well stocked with 3 guppies.

Yeah 3 adults in a 10 is pretty much stocked. I would look at the assassins like we mentioned. Maybe shrimp too

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe you cold rehome the females and get just males. Then you could add neons or any of the dwarf cory species

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom