10 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a 10 gallon aquarium a week or two ago in my garage and have been thinking about what to place in the tank. I was originally thinking about housing a single blue electric lobster but I heard that crustaceans are very tempermental when it comes to PH and I don't want to kill someone so cool looking due to me being an aquarium novice. I was thinking about making it into a small salt water tank and having it sit next to my computer and maybe house two small clown fish but I'm not sure what type of clown fish would stay decently small and would be able to live in a 10 gallon aquarium.

I was also thinking about filling it with gravel and a bit of water and putting some crabs in there but I'm not sure how that would work. I don't want anything that will smell and my experience with hermit crabs is rather disgusting but I don't think that little freshwater cabs would be the same but I don't want to risk anything.

If you have any ideas about something unique and pretty that could live comfortably in a 10 gallon fish tank please let me know. Also, if you know of a dwarf type clown because my girl friend is in love with them and I wouldn't mind watching them while I'm on the computer every now and again.

I think that killifish are pretty interesting as are endlers and many other nano fish, but killies are probably the most unique(y) also I think that maybe one clown fish could go in there and also maybe a goby or something!
Here I've attached some pics of my favorites, killies, endlers, galaxy rasbora(Censtial pearl danios) and Pygmy cories!

Attachments

• image-1222389844.jpg
    image-1222389844.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3734192380.jpg
    image-3734192380.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image-97895463.jpg
    image-97895463.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1814544644.jpg
    image-1814544644.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3355222421.png
    image-3355222421.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 215
No Clown Fish

You cant have a clown fish because when you get a clonfish they will need a anemone they will take over a 10 gallon tank and will make bottom swimming fish dye due to stinging tentacles. Also anemone a anemone will get 4 to 5 inches big makeing medium and high level swimming fish a stressful time

You cant have a clown fish because when you get a clonfish they will need a anemone they will take over a 10 gallon tank and will make bottom swimming fish dye due to stinging tentacles. Also anemone a anemone will get 4 to 5 inches big makeing medium and high level swimming fish a stressful time

Clown fish don't need an anemone. They can nest other things, or not even nest at all. Many people on here don't have them and have clownfish. The only thing that I can say is that it takes a decient amount of effort to keep a saltwater tank and money too.

Thanks However

they like them because helps them feel safer aroung bigger fish even a inch bigger giving them one will make them stress free and high stress levels can kill the fish and the other fish:hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide:(y)

well he wants a 10 gallon tank so i don't think he should even have bigger fish than clowns in the tank even though i'm not a saltwater expert or anything.

There won't be any larger fish than that, the goby or something like the goby may get bigger but they'll be in different levels of the tank, and I just went and checked- they don't need anemones. Plus anemones need insane amounts of lighting and most people can't keep them alive very long. Clown fish can do well and can even thrive without anemones, they are in many, many tanks without them. They're even considered "beginner" saltwater fish, and do well with just rocks, sand, and water(with salt of course)

Edit: might I also say again, a saltwater tank that small would be sort of difficult not impossible but hard. I would suggest getting a 29+ gallon for first saltwater tanks... Just my opinion. Oh and clowns can do fine with only one fish too.

Clowns are super cute, but you will probably get more info on them if you post a question about what clown work in a 10 gallon in the saltwater section. Personally, I only keep fw tanks, so I can't be of much help there.:)
The crabs that I know of need brackish water and access to land/air to feed. You can certainly build an awesome little crab set-up though. :)
Another option would be African dwarf frogs.
If you want fish, all the fish AquaKai suggested work. I have a 10 gallon with a betta and ember tetras. Bettas are actually fairly active once you get them out of that silly cup that most places sell them in. And, they are very colorful. Guppies and Endlers Livebearers are another option. :)

I know for a fact that a clown doesn't need an anemone. I used to own two in a 300 gallon tank but not I want to make a 10 gallon clown fish tank for my girl friend. I would like it to be mainly saltwater fish or freshwater crustacean. I should of probably posted on the salt water section though since I was asking specifically about a salt water fish.

Ok, well fw crustaceans are pretty cool. Are you for sure wanting something with pincers or would you consider shrimp? If you do go this direction instead of the clowns...

Back
Top Bottom