10 gallon build/stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, im a saltwater guy but i have a 10 gal with stand filter heater and hood just lying around and i want to use it but i just dont have the time for another saltwater build...i really like angels chiclids and labs but im guessing they wont work in a 10. So knowing what fish i like, how would u stock this tank?????
Thanks

You could do shell dwelling cichlids in a 10g
Dwarf gouramis are also nice, colorful fish for a small tank. I have a pair of DGs and a spiketail paradise fish in my 10g. You can check out my tank through the link in my signature.
There are a lot of possibilities for a 10g. Do you like schooling fish? Or like more of a center piece type fish?

Center piece, also I want this tank to be low matenince.

I also like algae eaters of some type and could I get a clown loach. In a 10 gal, what is the most fish I can get.

No, clown loaches get really big, they can't fit in there.
As far as an algae eater, some people recommend ottos some say they don't belong in a 10. If you were wanting an algae eating fish that'd be the only one that might be able to be in your tank depending on the rest of the fish.

Get a school of 5-6 tetras and maybe a dwarf gourmi and u are set. The tetras would need to be smaller ones like glowlights, neons, penguins, bleeding hearts, etc. If u REALLY wanted an algea eater i suggest mayb one small otto, or chinease algea eater and maybe a small school of tetras. If u just felt like having fun with ur tank ( which i strongly suggest) buy 10 red cherry shrimp, some java moss, and sit back and watch em breed like crazy. Haha its very lot maintance and fun to watch fry grow up. If ur gunna do this option u need to cover up your filter with sponge cloth or something so the fry dont get sucked in :) good luck

here is my plan for stocking
2 shell dwelling chiclids
2 dwarf gourmis
1 betta (male or female??)
1 fancy goldfish (suggestions)
1 otoclinus
1 adf waater temp will be 72 degrees

No u cant do that. Its hard to have dwarf gourmis, and bettas to be ok with eachother. Fancy goldfish alone get too big for a 10 gallon! You can have 4 shell dwelling chiclids and an otto

are there any other types of chiclids i could get?

Its hard to get 2 commonchiclids because they will always fight. Thats why the shell chiclids r good because they are very calm. U could get 1 gourmi and 4 tetras. But thats maxed out

If you want to get a lot of fish in a 10g you could go for micro fish. Dwarf rasboras, hatchets, cories, and killies could all be good for a 10g (not all together, of course)
I only have three fish in my 10g and it's probably my favorite tank!

you could do:
1x Shell dwelling cichlid
1x Dwarf gourami
1x Otto (might not last, I've never had luck with them in tanks smaller than 20g)
5x of a micro schooling fish

Perhaps you should take a walk through the freshwater section of your lfs. Take a pad and pen and write down the species that you like. Keep in mind, please, that these will have to be very small fish as 10 gallons is a very small tank.

Go home, research the species that you've written down. You look like you're really grasping at straws here and just tossing out tons of species names. I think you need to do some hard core research on your own prior to stocking this tank. I'm not so sure that our just telling you "no", "no", "no" to each species you're mentioning is going to make much sense in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom