10 Gallon Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xstream

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I know the HOB that came with my Top Fin starter is probably maxing our right now, and I would really like to replace it soon with something that might allow me the filtration to add two more neon tetras and possibly another Molly... Or a snail. I plan on waiting until my cycle is completed.

I am on the backside of the of the new tank cycle, and I would really like to used the same filter insert that came with the kit so as to not disturb the bb that I have finally started to see the results of. So I am looking at the Top Fin 20 or 30. I know there are quieter machines but the noise doesn't bother us and I am unite what will fit back there.

My question, I know the thirty would move more water per hour through the system, but would the current be too strong? The price is not much different from the 20-30 and if the current will not be too much in my 10 gallon tank I would like to optimize the filtration for my dollar.

Hello,
They(guppies and mollies/platties) are not rock solid fish like oscars(reference haha) that don't mind flow, but they aren't like betta's(another one) that rather stay in calm water. I would get the 30 if I were you and try to put in on the side.
Also, what is you're stock? Even with a high GPH rate, it might be a too high amount of bio load or just not enough space.

We have one dalmation Molly, one sunburst mm Platy, and three neon tetras. I want to add two more tetras to create a school, and at least one snail.

Using aqadvice's calculator with the 30 filtration I should be good with one more Molly but that takes us to 100% bio (I understand that calculator to be pretty conservative). It did say another Platy would be too much.

I might stop at the tetras and snail. Again, I am doing nothing until I finish my cycle.

You can add 2 more tetras and a snail but that's it. Don't add an additional Molly due to their size and Bio-Load.

Well neither the Top Fin 30 or the 20 would fit in the space... So my choice was reduced to the Tetra whisper for 10-29 gallons. Should still be
More than adequate filtration.

There is a difference in filter cartridge now... How can I use my existing filter to "seed" the new one?

So I shoved my old filter material minus the carbon and my old sponge into the whisper ex20.

How long should I leave those in there? The power filter became noticeably louder.

Hmmmm.... In a couple of weeks I might try to buy a 20 gallon.... I would really like to increase my tank size. I would need a stand... Which I really need one for my 10 gallon anyway.

I am thinking, I have this carpenter buddy who just made some furniture for his kids. He had a blast doing it. We may make a few days out of it...

So I shoved my old filter material minus the carbon and my old sponge into the whisper ex20.

How long should I leave those in there? The power filter became noticeably louder.
Keep it there for at least a week. Try not restraining the flow and filter too much with the old filter media as it might damage the suction motor.

honestly look into a 29 gallon its 30x12 smaller but big enough to keep a nice school and your buddy could build a stand for that. you could keep 30 inches of fish in total (full size taken in consideration of course) i never really followed rules of stocking limits of course i never went crazy over board but as long as you have the filtration and do water changes avidly you will be fine. with my 75 i will have 14 demasoni, 6 yellow labs, 3 jewels, 1 Haplochromis sp. "#44" thickskin, 1 acei, and 3 ob red zebras so 28 fish in a 75 gallon and size is about 4" so 128" of fish and i only should have about 78" but i have great filtration so that keeps up also bigger tanks can handle more minimum tank size should be 29 gallons personally

That is funny, I was looking at the 29 gallon today on my lunch break. I am really wanting to do a natural looking tropical tank with driftwood and maybe sand instead of gravel.

I have been eyeing that 36 gallon bow front that both my LFS and Petsmart carry.

I haven't read previous comments, but my last experience with Walmart brand filters was bad. I will NEVER buy a Walmart filter again. Mine was nothing short of a piece of crap. If you have one to do you for now I would look online and get a better one, I have an aquaclear/fluval filter and I love it. Last time I checked drsfosterandsmith.com have some good prices on filters. You can also check amazon and eBay as well if you need to save some money!

honestly look into a 29 gallon its 30x12 smaller but big enough to keep a nice school and your buddy could build a stand for that. you could keep 30 inches of fish in total (full size taken in consideration of course) i never really followed rules of stocking limits of course i never went crazy over board but as long as you have the filtration and do water changes avidly you will be fine. with my 75 i will have 14 demasoni, 6 yellow labs, 3 jewels, 1 Haplochromis sp. "#44" thickskin, 1 acei, and 3 ob red zebras so 28 fish in a 75 gallon and size is about 4" so 128" of fish and i only should have about 78" but i have great filtration so that keeps up also bigger tanks can handle more minimum tank size should be 29 gallons personally

This rule really isn't a good one to follow as it is very out dated. There are other factors to consider besides just the adult size of the fish; the fishes bioload and activity level has to be taken into consideration. Some have different opinions on what can be kept in a 10, neons are one fish that is debated between being ok in a 10g vs needing 20g minimum because of their activity level. Fish like pleco's, DO NOT.. I repeat DO NOT even consider a common pleco... Yes they look small in the store but their bioloads are huge and they will grow to over 2 feet long and they need a huge tank, like 100's of gallons to support their full grown size and bioload, mollies and platies have a huge bioload; they poop a lot. And I mean a lot lol. Mollies really need atleast 30g because of their activity levels and they grow to be a good size. Theoretically a platy could be kept in a 10, but due to their bioload only 2, 3 max is recommended. General rule in this hobby; but the biggest tank you have space and the money for. A larger tank is much more forgiving of mistakes made by new comers in the hobby. If you overstock a 10g things will be much more of a disaster than if you were to overstock a larger tank; the larger the tank the less time it takes for toxins to build up; the smaller the tank the quicker toxins will build up.

I am really unhappy with the Tetra Whisper 30. I bought it at petsmart not so much due to cost (I would have pause ten dollars more for a great filter) but because it wqs the only one I found to fit in the small space my aquarium lid allows. I did look at lids, but a $30 lid and $30 filter was a little out of my budget. I read mixed reviews on the Whisper. Ultimately I bought it because it fit and my daughter was throwing a fit wanting to leave.

As I said, I am not that happy with it. It is very loud! I don't know if it will quiet down but I hope so. It also appears to be too much flow. My Molly normally swims the front of the tank each morning, but I not once saw her do that last night or this morning. This morning all of the fish were congregated on the opposite side of the tank. The filter is rated for a 10-20 gallon tank... I am thinking about putting the old Top Fin 10 back into the tank...

I am really unhappy with the Tetra Whisper 30. I bought it at petsmart not so much due to cost (I would have pause ten dollars more for a great filter) but because it wqs the only one I found to fit in the small space my aquarium lid allows. I did look at lids, but a $30 lid and $30 filter was a little out of my budget. I read mixed reviews on the Whisper. Ultimately I bought it because it fit and my daughter was throwing a fit wanting to leave.

As I said, I am not that happy with it. It is very loud! I don't know if it will quiet down but I hope so. It also appears to be too much flow. My Molly normally swims the front of the tank each morning, but I not once saw her do that last night or this morning. This morning all of the fish were congregated on the opposite side of the tank. The filter is rated for a 10-20 gallon tank... I am thinking about putting the old Top Fin 10 back into the tank...

I didn't like it because none of the parts fit like they should to get it assembled and after looking mine over it had a crack down the side! And I completely understand about your daughter wanting I leave, I have a 3 1/2 year old son. When their ready to go their ready lol.

I came home to a quiet power filter!

And my Molly was swimming across the front of the glass again. Although the current is definitely changing his (yeah, just realized the other day) pattern. You can see him drop about an inch as he come directly under the water flow.

You might not believe this, but I believe it was the bubbler. I had turned it off after adding the new filter. I was worried there was too much flow in the tank, and not enough dead spots.

I called Petsmart today on my break. They said they would take it back with a receipt. I was impressed.

Back
Top Bottom