10 gallon- glowlight & neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djranks06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could I be able to fit 6 neons and 6 glowlight tetras in a 10 gallon semi-heavily planted tank with cherry shrimp? I love the way they look.

It may be possible if you keep up on water changes religiously, but it would be better for the health of the fish to just choose 6 of one species. I'd pick the glowlights. They are much hardier than neons and make for a lot less frustrating experience IMO.

Im willing to take care of them pretty well...how often would i have to make water changes?

At least 25% per week, no slacking LOL! But I would really pick one species or the other, as even 6 of one species would technically overstock your tank. Even 7 or 8 of one species would really be pushing it as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't, but that's JMO. Maybe 4 and 4... I'm guessing they will school together because they are so similar, but I may be wrong. If you do it anyway, make sure to stock slowly as not to overload your bio filter, and bump up the water changes to 25% twice a week.

ok if get 4 and 4 and do 25% water changes will they be okay?

Twice a week? Probably. I still wouldn't because I don't trust myself to put out all the effort LOL! Then again, I have 5 tanks so I already have plenty of water changin' to do. Good luck with whatever you decide.

i already have 6 neons, maybe i could add a couple more? what do u think?

4 to 4 may stress out the fish. I have noticed that Tetras like to be in groups of 6+ otherwise they tend to stress out, neons especially fall in to that statement. Beacon tetras and blue flames tend not to school anyhow so you could probably get away with 4 of the less schooling tetras.

-Pleco

Good decision. The tetras will appreciate it. Still, keep up on those pwcs.

i keep 12 tetras in my 10g and there fine.i have glowlites,lemon tetras,green neons,neons and black diamond teras.but just keep up on the water changes and just test the water at first to make sure everything ok about 2 times a week then you can do it once a week and so on.

ryan said:
i keep 12 tetras in my 10g and there fine.i have glowlites,lemon tetras,green neons,neons and black diamond teras.but just keep up on the water changes and just test the water at first to make sure everything ok about 2 times a week then you can do it once a week and so on.
yeah i have 10 neon tetras in my 10 gal. and theyre just fine

EdgarMedina1010 said:
ryan said:
yeah i have 10 neon tetras in my 10 gal. and theyre just fine
so you guys think I can add 4 more to make it 10 and be just fine?

Neon tetras, I would even think 10 would be doable. Not reccomended, but doable. But mixing 12 fish, of different species, I would not reccomend. They may be fine, but wait until they grow. Or maybe your nitrates are so high, they aren't growing?

djranks, if you are really hardpressed on addding to the school, I would not get more than 2 more. But 6 neons should look pretty sharp in your tank.

Devilishturtles said:
Neon tetras, I would even think 10 would be doable. Not reccomended, but doable. But mixing 12 fish, of different species, I would not reccomend. They may be fine, but wait until they grow. Or maybe your nitrates are so high, they aren't growing?

djranks, if you are really hardpressed on addding to the school, I would not get more than 2 more. But 6 neons should look pretty sharp in your tank.
Well I guess I will only add 2 more, also what is the lifespan of neons?

Neons can last 2+ years if the water quality is kept up. I have a friend that has a neon that is verging on 3 years old. I am sure there may be others with more experience here but my guess is based on what ive seen while fishkeeping :)

-Pleco

Back
Top Bottom