10 Gallon kit, or loose parts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since my parents don't want me getting another tank, I figured I'd just get one to put on my desk next to me so they couldn't complain. How much would a ten gallon tank kit (or loose parts, just trying to get an idea of cost) cost without substrate and decorations? I've been told to go bigger, not smaller, but when parents and space are a problem and MTS is picking at my brain, I've got to get this 10 gallon.

Given that this is a sturdy desk, I would say that you could probably pick up a ten gallon kit from walmart with filter, heater, and light for around fifty dollars. I believe that's what I paid for mine, and the filter is moderately decent. As for assembling one on your own, that depends on where you get such, around here it's just not very practical unless you use the internet to get your parts.

I can get parts very easily where I live. The desk is sturdy, and if I need to get a stand I can find room for a nice ten gallon. 50 dollars sounds wonderful when building a tank.

Sit on the desk. If it doesn't creak or bow, it's fine.

If you're considering this, put extra media in your 46 now so that it'll be seeded for the 10 when you're ready.

I'd rather piece it together myself. If you order parts online or price match at Petsmart, the equipment you get is better quality and the difference in price isn't too bad.

Wal-Mart sells 10 galllon kits with filter, lights, lid, etc.. for 30$. Only thing I had to pick up seperate that wasn't in the kit was a heater. But that was only for one tank that I am treating for ick, otherwise I wouldn't need it.

I have three of them I use to house my crayfish, they work great. Even have some tiger barbs and guppies in two of the tanks.

Off the top of my head...

$11 for the tank. Buy it in store at PetCo or PetSmart.
$10 for the heater. Buy online at PetSmart.
$12 for the filter. Buy online at PetSmart.
$10 for pool filter sand. Any pool supply store.

The most expensive thing is going to be a lid and a light, but I know you can get the Versa Glass Tops at drsfostersmith.com pretty inexpensively, and all those items I listed for online you can get for similar prices there and get cheaper shipping. I won't get into lights as I don't know off the top of my head, but if it's on a desk, you should have a desk lamp anyway. Buying things separately allows you to get better equipment than the kits.

Well this is what I would do...
get a $30 kit from walmart with incandescent light hood
get a $13 or so heater
get a $13 20 AC filter
then go to the light section at walmart and get two 10-15 sunlight compact fluorescent screw in bulbs-$8
pea gravel-25 pounds-$1.27

that way you have some good filtration, and good light if you decide to go planted :)
fish wise... it depends on what you want? I would personally go with somthing like
1x german blue ram
5x harliquin rasbora
5x pygmy corry
3x otto

blazeyreef said:
that way you have some good filtration, and good light if you decide to go planted :)
fish wise... it depends on what you want? I would personally go with somthing like
1x german blue ram
5x harliquin rasbora
5x pygmy corry
3x otto

I read somewhere, don't remember which site, that you only need 1 oto per 10g of water.

sweetness8t5 said:
I read somewhere, don't remember which site, that you only need 1 oto per 10g of water.

While its true 1 oto can handle a 10 gal tank (check mine he ran solo in a 29 and i never had algae issues either) but they like to school is what i've been told. I'd have a trio but i just had terrible luck getting them to live past the the 4 day mark or so (most as i found out later were starved in transit to retailers)

flip_lx said:
While its true 1 oto can handle a 10 gal tank (check mine he ran solo in a 29 and i never had algae issues either) but they like to school is what i've been told. I'd have a trio but i just had terrible luck getting them to live past the the 4 day mark or so (most as i found out later were starved in transit to retailers)

but they like to school is what i've been told.
Oops, forgot! LoL

most as i found out later were starved in transit to retailers
Those bastards! Ugh, I hate going to petstores and seeing fish dying... very ill.. scaleless... a fin on one side completely gone and swimming around in circles-literally... makes me mad! (even before I got into this hobby)

I know what your going through...I've been catching crayfish lately trying to find that perfect one for my tank I just bought, a ten gallon. At walmart, you can buy the basic kit which includes tank, filter, heater, and hood with two 25 watt blue incadescent blbs for 30 bucks. Or if you want you can step up the advanced kit which is all the same parts except the hood is an 18 flourescent which keeps the tank coolr than the other bulbs do. The incadescents get really hot and tend to warm tanks up. I just bought the tank at walmart ( 10 bucks ) but it was just the tank, I had the other components, made my own light fixture too. works really well. btw my 10 gallon is also on my desk next to me lol

Back
Top Bottom