10 Gallon Nano Reef Hardware Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monsieur Kam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to know exactly what I will need for the set up.

I need to know which kind of filter is best for a 10 gallon nano reef, something on the cheaper side and good quality.

I was thinking an AquaClear Power Filter 50 or 70. If I go with one of those, I have read people don't use sponges in them because they trap nitrates too much. Suggestions?

I also read about a canister filter. Suggestions on a canister filter?

What kind of circulation pump or powerhead do you recommend?

Would the Odyssea 20" 72W (4x 18W) T5 HO Light Fixture be fine for keeping corals? Don't worry I have read all of the pros and cons, so I do not need a lecture over Odyssea ;).

Also how much sand is recommended? I was thinking 10 pounds, or would that be too shallow? And how much live rock, 10 pounds enough?

Links are very much appreciated! Thanks!

I would do a 70 gallon AC and mod it YouTube - DIY Aquaclear Refugium Mod

For a powerhead go with a small koralia

The sand would be about right unless you go with a goby pistol combination then you might want more. Figuring out the stocking list first helps when it comes to setting up the tank right.

Will that mod help a lot more than if I just used a regular AC 70? What exactly do you put in the DIY refugium when you are done? I saw cheato was something people used, does that need a light on it? And also what else would you put besides cheato?

I have a ac110 personally. Id say mod it so you have filter floss on the intake side so you can trap any of the nasty so it doesn't settle...which mine does.

Ive realized that biocubes are the way to go if you want a nano tank. even after going with clearance and sale items etc... i could have bought a biocube 29gal.

chaeto and mangrove is what i have in my "fuge"

IMO a Biocube is a good tank for a starter since everything is there, you just have to know your limitations when it comes to stock, and the lighting for corals.

For a powerhead I suggest a koralia nano 240GPH, small but strong enough for you. 10lbs of sand is fine, mostly a sandbed depth is how you like the look, I know I want a shallow one but that's IMO. I would suggest 10-15lbs LR/Base rock for you. The Aquaclear should be all the mechanical filtration you'll need for a 10G, skip the canister. And if the fixture is 20" you'll be fine. Maybe check fishneedit.com for a 2ft fixture. I know maxst2 has one and from the pictures he's posted IMO the overhang is barely noticeable and not ugly, but that's all again IMO, I see you did look into the odyssea one so you know what you're getting into

Back
Top Bottom