10 gallon over stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewtimmsfx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi forum,

I just wanted to gather some opinions on my 10 gallon stocking. At the moment I have.

7 Celestial Pearl Danio
3 endlers
3 dwarf Cory
2 oto

I have a penguin 100 filter that I have upgraded by filling the extra space with bio media and sponges. The plant is gravel substrate and fake plants but I recently added a lot of floating plants, 2 moss balls and have attached some Anubis Nana and have fern to my driftwood and rocks. So I guess I would call it lightly planted now.

I feel it is pretty full now but I'm new to the hobby so want to ask for other opinions to make sure the fish are happy.

Cheers everyone

Go to Aqadvisor.com

That website will help you not overstock your tank. To answer your question, yes you're overstocked. General rule of thumb is 1inch of fish per gallon. So, you could get away with like 5 tetras or 5 danios but then that's it. Unless you do more frequent water changes and have extra filtration. Being a 10 gallon, it's not good to overstock those. The smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain proper water parameters and the more fluctuations you will get.

Also, I would be careful with live-bearing fish like Endlers. They can over populate the hell out of tank very fast.

Go to Aqadvisor.com

That website will help you not overstock your tank. To answer your question, yes you're overstocked. General rule of thumb is 1inch of fish per gallon. So, you could get away with like 5 tetras or 5 danios but then that's it. Unless you do more frequent water changes and have extra filtration. Being a 10 gallon, it's not good to overstock those. The smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain proper water parameters and the more fluctuations you will get.

Also, I would be careful with live-bearing fish like Endlers. They can over populate the hell out of tank very fast.
Yes I was made aware of only getting male endlers. So luckily I can't get over run with little endlers! Thanks for the heads up and for the link to the website.

I actually used that site to help guide me with stocking and it's coming out at either 96% or 86% stocked depending on which type of oto I choose. Even 96% is a little high I think and it's better to have some 'error' room.

I will keep up with the weekly small water changes. Thanks for the reply. Cheers

Yes I was made aware of only getting male endlers. So luckily I can't get over run with little endlers! Thanks for the heads up and for the link to the website.

I actually used that site to help guide me with stocking and it's coming out at either 96% or 86% stocked depending on which type of oto I choose. Even 96% is a little high I think and it's better to have some 'error' room.

I will keep up with the weekly small water changes. Thanks for the reply. Cheers

Glad somebody gave you a heads up. You'll wake up one morning and have a bunch of those little buggers in there and it's overwhelming. I would play it on the safe side of 86% just because it's a smaller tank and like I said before, the water parameters are more likely to fluctuate. Good Luck!

Glad somebody gave you a heads up. You'll wake up one morning and have a bunch of those little buggers in there and it's overwhelming. I would play it on the safe side of 86% just because it's a smaller tank and like I said before, the water parameters are more likely to fluctuate. Good Luck!

Aqua visor is a great tool but not the gospel. Make sure you do your own homework.

Cories should be in larger groups. Most say not in a 10 at all but if you put them in correct numbers (6)now your over stocked.

You could get a bigger group of cpd or endlers. I personally would get one of the other. As a laeger school to most look better.

Aqua visor is a great tool but not the gospel. Make sure you do your own homework.

Cories should be in larger groups. Most say not in a 10 at all but if you put them in correct numbers (6)now your over stocked.

You could get a bigger group of cpd or endlers. I personally would get one of the other. As a laeger school to most look better.
Yea unfortunately I don't have the space for more dwarf Cory's. The three of them seem pretty happy and active though which is good. I would happily get 10 of them for a future tank, they are really cute fish. So you think I could fit more CPDs in the tank at its current stocking? Or just generally the more the better kinda thing? :)

If did just cpd id say 8 or 9
Endlers 5 or 6
Id pick one or other so you have better group.

Ottos will starve in newer tank. Why ottos? Do u have algae or are anticipating. Lol

Im probably wrong guy to ask. But id rather have a low bioload. Healthy fish than to push the tank to max levels. Obviously fish provide N for plants. But Im a fan of high plant mass, low fish count, and high invertebrates.

I would second ^ flchamp89.
My preference is more smaller types (like the male endlers) or neons and high shrimp shrimp count.
Getting overrun in breeding sure happens fast. I have both male and female... it's relentless so I've been moving my males to give them a break

If did just cpd id say 8 or 9
Endlers 5 or 6
Id pick one or other so you have better group.

Ottos will starve in newer tank. Why ottos? Do u have algae or are anticipating. Lol
Yea, it would be nice just to have the CPDs. I might see if someone can adopt the endlers from me. The otos keep the algae at bay, don't have any but they seem happy to me. :) thanks for the reply :)

Hi forum,

I just wanted to gather some opinions on my 10 gallon stocking. At the moment I have.

7 Celestial Pearl Danio
3 endlers
3 dwarf Cory
2 oto

I have a penguin 100 filter that I have upgraded by filling the extra space with bio media and sponges. The plant is gravel substrate and fake plants but I recently added a lot of floating plants, 2 moss balls and have attached some Anubis Nana and have fern to my driftwood and rocks. So I guess I would call it lightly planted now.

I feel it is pretty full now but I'm new to the hobby so want to ask for other opinions to make sure the fish are happy.

Cheers everyone

Dwarf Cory could mean a bunch of different species. What is the actual species you have ? A pic might help.

The three tiny Cory species are fine in a 10g
C habrosus
C pygmaeus
C hastatus

( there is one more I did not list as it is not in the trade AFAIK)

You need to look at adult size of the fish.

1" per Gallon is old outdated info. It does not take into account activity level or territorial needs.

Planet Catfish has the most complete Corydoras list. LiveAquaria has most of the commonly available.

The Corydoras you have may or may not be able to live out their life in a 10g.

Cories and Otos like groups. You cannot fit 6 of each. I had 3-4 Otos in my heavily planted 10g as well as 5 C habrosus. Plus 7 CPDs. But heavily planted, and weekly water changes. I was overstocked. I don't recommend stocking like I did.
I was slightly crazy at the time, but it worked well for me.

Cheesy music...apologies.
https://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Dwarf Cory could mean a bunch of different species. What is the actual species you have ? A pic might help.

The three tiny Cory species are fine in a 10g
C habrosus
C pygmaeus
C hastatus

( there is one more I did not list as it is not in the trade AFAIK)

You need to look at adult size of the fish.

1" per Gallon is old outdated info. It does not take into account activity level or territorial needs.

Planet Catfish has the most complete Corydoras list. LiveAquaria has most of the commonly available.

The Corydoras you have may or may not be able to live out their life in a 10g.

Cories and Otos like groups. You cannot fit 6 of each. I had 3-4 Otos in my heavily planted 10g as well as 5 C habrosus. Plus 7 CPDs. But heavily planted, and weekly water changes. I was overstocked. I don't recommend stocking like I did.
I was slightly crazy at the time, but it worked well for me.

Cheesy music...apologies.
https://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM
They are habrosus cory i believe they are sometimes called Salt and pepper dwarf Cory as well. :)

They are habrosus cory i believe they are sometimes called Salt and pepper dwarf Cory as well. :)

C habrosus are great. One of my favorites. I think you are ok on stocking then as long as you are keeping up water changes. All your fish besides the Otos are Nano species, so less bioload. My Otos thrived in my 10g.

I don't use the common name as it's too easy for people to confuse Salt and Pepper with Peppered Cories , C paleatus. But that's me.

Back
Top Bottom