10 gallon plant choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhaynes01

Aquarium Advice Freak
tommorow i will buy some live plants for my ten gallon aquarium.

i have some wystieria in there now what else should i get

some recommendations on plants that some of you have and would highly reccomend.

also is there a good plant that stays small kind of like grass only in my tank though

mhaynes01...

Depends a lot on how much light you have on the tank. I've got a couple of 10 gallon tanks. One came with the standard 15w fluorescent light...the other had 2 X 7 watt incandescent. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with two of the 10 watt screw-in fluorescents. The tank with the 15w fluorescent grows Java Fern (Microsorium), Bolbitis Fern and Vallisneria quite nicely. The tank with 2X10w fluorescents is growing Water Sprite (Ceratopteris), Bolbitis, Aponogeton and Microsorium. I've noticed significantly better growth in the tank that has a total of 20 watts (2 wpg) over the one with 1.5 wpg.

Here's the 10 gallon with the 2 screw-in fluorescents. This picture is about two weeks old. The plants have grown phenomenally. The Aponogeton in the right foreground now has leaves that are sprawled across the surface of the tank and the Water Sprite has taken over about half of the entire back of the tank. I had to prune the Java Fern and Bolbitis Fern to remove some nasty algae that hitchhiked in on them.

10gal2as.jpg

If you have the standard fluorescent hood then you could also consider some of the smaller varieties of Cryptocoryne and some stem plants like Hornwort (Ceratopyllum) or Anachris. Most of the 'grassy' plants require pretty high light levels. You might be able to use one of the dwarf Sagittaria species or a small Vallisneria type as a foreground plant.

Of course...all this gets tossed out the window if you decide to splurge and get one of the fancy compact fluorescent light fixtures. Then your choices will only be limited by the size of the plants.

it will kinda come down to what lighting you will have and what type of plants appeal to you. right now I have a small 5.5gal with about 3.5wpg....I have a amazon sword, roseafolio,micro sword, bacopa(not sure why)...and some tall "stuff" in the back(hand me down). All plants are doing awesome. I do fertilize with Flourish excel, iron, pottasium, phosphorus, nitrogen and flourish.

You might consider ordering a plant "package", I ordered the "easy life - 10 gallon" from Arizona Aquatic Gardens for about $40. I got a ton of plants, all very healthy, nice wide variety. A little more than I could easily fit into a ten gallon actually. The plants are all "low-light" and have done very well so far with <2 wpg.

It came with these:
Anacharis - bushy, looks like kelp, grows insanely fast.
Blood Stargrass
Japanese Fans
Dwarf Lily Plant
Dwarf Onions - these grow a loooong grassblade from a small bulb.
Asian Ambulia - another bushy fast grower.
Tall Sagittaria subulata - more grass-like than the regular, these are the "narrow-leaf" kind. Tough!
small red-spot Ozelot sword - very cool ovoid-shaped leaf with red flecks.
Crypt Walkeri - short leafy plant with some red color.
Java Ferns - made out of leather, impossible to kill.

http://www.azgardens.com/habitats_easy.php

I got the same package several years ago and indeed it is a bit much for a 10-gal. The blood stargrass (Didiplis diandra) and the ozelot sword are not really "low light" plants as they are sold, but I had 2.5wpg so they did fine. I still have most of those plants today - spread out among other tanks.

That would be a great way to start off with 2wpg.

I love Java Fern, tough as nails as I have learned... JAva moss would provide a nice cover I think, if you can get it to root to something, I'm trying to get mine to stick to one of my rocks, it is nice and slow growing.
I'm trying my luck with some sunset hygrophilia right now... :fingers crossed:

Well one out of four is not bad. The Acorus and Mondo grass are not aquatic plants.

Just to give you a heads up, the mondo grass is not actually an aquatic plant, so don't be surprised if it dies off after a while. It should do okay for a while.

I love dwarf gouramis, and I am sure he will be happily bubble nest building in no time!

well actually he is nesting but only with plants pieces, towards the back of the tank, if a piece comes off he chases it down and brings it back, if only i could get him a girlfriend :lol:

Back
Top Bottom