10 gallon planted tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks!! I'll make sure to just keep guppies and maybe a few juvenile platy or Molly. I have a 26 gallon I can move them to once they outgrew the 10.

Where can I get these root tabs? I would like to add them!

Ill get a few snails, and what about a few Cory catfish? Would they work? What about an albino pleco? I've heard they don't get as big.

It's debatable but generally cories aren't suited
For a 10g. And getting a few won't be good for them, they need their own kind, it's recommended to get atleast 5 cories.

It's debatable but generally cories aren't suited
For a 10g. And getting a few won't be good for them, they need their own kind, it's recommended to get atleast 5 cories.

I have a dwarf species, Corydoras Habrosus. True dwarf species will work in a 10g but that can be hard to find, often only available a few times a year. My tank is heavily planted.

Red Cherry Shrimp are great in a 10g once it's established and stable.

Here's my 10 gal with the lights on and off. I also added blank copy paper and taped them to the back of my tank for a neutral background.

I know my aqua scaping isn't the best, but I just want to see if my plants grow before I decided where I want to permanently want them to be planted.

Options, advice, input?? All is appreciated!!

image-804797475.jpg

image-3866137150.jpg

I use a black background. Makes my plants pop :)

Looks good so far :)

I was gonna do that but my substrate is black so I didn't think it would look very good. I was thinking about cutting some orange constructing paper into some plant designs and taping it to the copy paper. I think that would look nice! Maybe multiple plants with different colored construction paper? I'll post pics once I do it lol.

I decided to put orangish yellow construction paper. It really makes everything pop! What do you guys think?

image-2171625845.jpg

That is really different but not sure if it works for me. It does look good with the red decoration tho. The thing is- is that you like it!!!

Yes I definitely like it. I think it makes the tank look tranquil!

Here's a pic with the tank lot on! It looks a little lighter.

image-2519412646.jpg

Oh, and any advice on aqua scaping? :) do I have them spread apart enough? And how soon should I start seeing growth? I don't have root tabs yet though, probably won't get them until the middle of the week or next weekend since my parents are stubborn.

In aquascaping you want tall plants to the back, the mid sized, then small in the foreground. You might have to wait for your plants to grow some so you can move them if needed. Also groups of plants tend to look better than a single plant (unless it is a focal plant) so they can make a statement. As for growing it's hard to say, low light tanks have slower plant growth and also different plants grow at different speeds so you really can't predict growth.

In aquascaping you want tall plants to the back, the mid sized, then small in the foreground. You might have to wait for your plants to grow some so you can move them if needed. Also groups of plants tend to look better than a single plant (unless it is a focal plant) so they can make a statement. As for growing it's hard to say, low light tanks have slower plant growth and also different plants grow at different speeds so you really can't predict growth.

I know my argentine swords will get tall so they are towards the back, but I have never heard of the plant "compacta" that I have in there. My lfs said it would work good. I'm a newbie at planted tanks, do you know anything about compacta ?

Compacta will still get large in a small tank but not near the size of the Argentine. So your going to want to keep it in the back also.

Compacta will still get large in a small tank but not near the size of the Argentine. So your going to want to keep it in the back also.

Okay I will once it grows some. How fast do those two plants grow without root tabs? (Since I can't get them until the weekend-_-)

Hard to say how fast a plant will grow in any given tank as factors such a lights, ferts, etc., all play a role in plant growth. They will be fine till this weekend.

Hard to say how fast a plant will grow in any given tank as factors such a lights, ferts, etc., all play a role in plant growth. They will be fine till this weekend.

Alright good. And my light isn't anything special, it's just the one from a kit at Petco. It's 15watt and it's a long one. It's actually really bright! The Petco guy said if would be fine for low light plants.

Here's an update on the tank!

I currently have a stock of
2 pregnant red platys
1 pregnant female guppy
3 black skirt tetras
1 Cory catfish

They are all doing great and I added some root tabs for my plants.

I have a plant stock of

Compacta
Argentine sword
Water sprite

They all are doing great and showing growth.

Here's a pic:

image-3181883208.jpg

What do ya'll think :)

Here's an update on the tank!

I currently have a stock of
2 pregnant red platys
1 pregnant female guppy
3 black skirt tetras
1 Cory catfish

They are all doing great and I added some root tabs for my plants.

I have a plant stock of

Compacta
Argentine sword
Water sprite

They all are doing great and showing growth.

Here's a pic:

What do ya'll think :)

Your overstocked for a 10g. Cories belong in groups of atleast 4, cories in a 10g is a debate, most say they don't belong in a 10g unless they are Pygmy's. Black skirt tetras are to active for a 10g, they need atleast a 20g. Did you ever cycle your tank? Your probably right about the GBR dying because of a spike, they are very sensitive fish and need pristine water conditions.

Your overstocked for a 10g. Cories belong in groups of atleast 4, cories in a 10g is a debate, most say they don't belong in a 10g unless they are Pygmy's. Black skirt tetras are to active for a 10g, they need atleast a 20g. Did you ever cycle your tank? Your probably right about the GBR dying because of a spike, they are very sensitive fish and need pristine water conditions.

I'm not overstocked, I would be if I added four cories! My one little guy does just fine in the 10, and he has some friends in my other tank that he gets to see weekly.

The black skirts aren't active at all!!! My betta swims more than them. And it's not because they don't have room to swim, because I have a black skirt in my 26 gallon to and he also barely swims, they just stay in one place unless its feeding time.

I'm not overstocked, I would be if I added four cories! My one little guy does just fine in the 10, and he has some friends in my other tank that he gets to see weekly.

The black skirts aren't active at all!!! My betta swims more than them. And it's not because they don't have room to swim, because I have a black skirt in my 26 gallon to and he also barely swims, they just stay in one place unless its feeding time.

I personally think tetras need more room than a 10g. I think the only exception to having tetras in a 10g is if they are either fry or small like neons tetras are; and even then there is some debate about neons being in a 10g, many think neons are to active for a 10g. Also your black skirts need to be in a group of atleast 5, they are a schooling fish.

What you need to consider is the fishes adult size, not just the they are now. And the bioload. The platies will make toxins rise quicker and maybe even knock things out of whack if the tank isn't cycled properly.

So my plants are finally starting to grow in! They're are showing tons of growth and everything is looking good except for my argentine swords. I an on getting some dry ferts this weekend to see if it helps any.

So far my current plant stock is
Argentine swords
Compacta
Water sprite

Here is a full tank Shot

image-3656310136.jpg

I was thinking of moving the swords(the plants upfront) and move half to the left and half to the right and added a few more plants.

What is some fast growing plants that a low tech that I can add to my tank?

Here's the view from right side

image-383510795.jpg

View from left side!

image-3660559095.jpg

All input and opinions is appreciated!! Please help me with my aqua scaping! I have river rocks I'm going to add next water change, and want to add more plants this weekend, please give me some ideas

:) thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom