10 Gallon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lancerland

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read though my question, even though I put the title of 10 gallon question.

I purchased a 10 gallon aquarium from Petland over the weekend, They seemed to be very knowledgeable in suggesting filters, heaters, ect. I actually went in there with the idea that I would buy a "kit" for around $60. After talking with a worker there, I decided to put my own Kit together. So I bought everything necessary to get started.

1 10 gal all glass aquarium
1 aquaclear 20 power filter, for 10-30 gal
1 Florecnt hood, with bulb
1 Marineland® Visi-Therm® Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heater
plants and gravel, and other decor items.

I have been researching what fish to buy for probably close to a month, and I have decided that I want Tiger Barbs. I have read all the information on them, so I know that they can "nip" at other fish from time to time. So I was wondering if 3-6 tiger barbs and possible a Gourami would be ok in a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks again for reading

I don't want to be discouraging, but I find that tiger barbs in anything under a 29 gallon are a hit and miss situation. Putting them in a 10 can be disaster and I am speaking from experience here. :roll:

What kind of gourami are you looking at? Are there any other possibilities for tankmates that you like?

I think that would be a better combo...at least more peaceful. I like my tanks to be somewhat peaceful so I can enjoy them. Watching fish chase each other and nip isn't my idea of fun.

6 rasboras sounds like quite a few to me. Maybe 4? You are always better to understock a bit, especially in a new tank and in a 10 gallon. 10 gallons are small tanks and require more upkeep. I have a TON of baby endlers in one of mine and I am constantly doing water changes until I can get rid of a few.

Is your tank cycled yet? Planted?

Oh yeah... and WELCOME to AA!

The other thing that I wanted to mention was that this pet store that I went to yesterday, actually had about 15 tiger barbs in an aquarium with a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami. I couldn't be sure what this tank size was. If I had to guess I would say about 30 gallons.

The barbs seem to act up less in bigger tanks. Maybe because they aren't in such close quarters. Also with more than a few of them, the aggression gets spread out and one doesn't get the brunt of all the action.

I am about to go buy my cycle fish today, I was thinking of using the tiger barbs, but now that those are out would the rasbora's be okay?

It isn't planted, I do have fake plants, an aquaclear 20 filter, and a 50 watt heater. So I think that my tank is over filtered with is a good thing right? and the temps shouldn't be a problem.

I would really recommend a fishless cycle. Much easier on the fish. It takes a little longer to get things set up the way you would like them, but it is well worth the wait IMO.

I think there is a sticky in the getting started section if you are interested. EDIT: Here is the article: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Your equipment selection sounds great to me.

Welcome to AA!

I second the fishless cycle recommendation also, with an added comment that a fishless cycle might take less time than one with fish. If you cycle with fish, you'll constantly be doing PWCs to keep your parameters safe enough for the fish, thus taking longer for a bacterial colony to be able to root and convert your ammonia and nitrites. Not to mention that the fish suffer with the fluctuating (and mostly toxic) water parameters when they are used to cycle a tank. If you can do a fishless cycle with seed material from an established tank, you will cycle quicker and not harm anything during it.

Also, do you have a water conditioner (ie, Prime or something similar)?

I think your equipment selection sounds good too. I have a Stealth heater and love it. :)

with an added comment that a fishless cycle might take less time than one with fish

Yep. I just meant that you have to wait the whole time without fish...which can be agonizing for some. Good for the fish though.

lancerland, it is the same for freshwater, except that (obviously) you don't fill the tank with saltwater in the first place. Also, you can use PURE ammonia to start the cycle (make sure that there are no colorants, surfacents, etc.). If you can get media from a friends' tank it will sure kick start the cycle.

verucaproduce said:
with an added comment that a fishless cycle might take less time than one with fish
Yep. I just meant that you have to wait the whole time without fish...which can be agonizing for some. Good for the fish though.
Ah, I gotcha. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom