10-gallon Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

figliaperduta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just finished cycling a 10-gallon tank (my third, now, if you count the betta in his 2.5). I've used a guppy for cycling, but he's moving out--he actually belongs to a friend.

Anyways, I'm really into cichlids, and I'm thinking about having a pair of Convicts. I just have gravel in the tank right now (it's a dark red colour that I'm not overly fond of). Does anyone know what kind of decorations they like, as far as rocks, fake plants, etc? Also, are they big gravel-movers?

Also, I'm having a fair bit of algae trouble, with both that tank and the 2.5-gallon. Both are lit by incandescent lights, and I think that's part of the problem. Sadly, due to budget constraints, it's currently not feasible to switch them over to fluorescent lights (especially the betta--he's right next to my bed). We're not talking algae that takes a couple of weeks to accumulate, here--this is like overnight takeover of the entire tank. Water changes and stronger filtration have failed to do the trick. Help!

you know for your 10 gallon you can go to homedepot and get a flourescent shop light for like 15-20 bucks and get a philips natural sunshine 5000K bulb there to which is good for plants and brining out colors in fish.

Add a snail to the 2.5 and 2 or 3 to the 10 - they'll eat the algae. Mystery snails lay their eggs at the top of the water line - easy to find and easy to remove that way.

I have one thought for you. If you cycled with one guppy you do not have much of a biofilter established so be careful how fast you stock the tank.

I second the idea that a pair of convicts is not a good idea.

I should clarify about the cycling--there were three guppies in there to start with. Once the cycle finished, two were returned, and now there's only the one, to keep it up while I decide what to do with it.

What about one convict?

Convicts grow up to 6" in size and are aggressive. A 10 gal tank does not offer the swimming space that is required for optimal health. IMO a 55 gal tank is appropriate.

You could maybe get away with a pair of kribs in there, though I had mine in a 10 for a while and never saw them. They are so much happier and colorful in the 55 :)
If you can find them, the little shelldwellers do pretty well in a 10 g. The spawn really easily too, and are very fun to watch. They're not usually available in stores, but I know there are some on Aquabid. I don't know if they'd be considered a beginner fish or not, but they seemed pretty undemanding when I had them. Still one of my favorites.

Or, what you could do is get a bigger tank for the cichlids and use the 10 g to grow out all the cichlid babies that result. :D

Yes, I decided yesterday to go with a pair of Lamprologus multifasciatus. I'm just working on setting up the tank for the changeover, now.

Eee, my first Africans!

You'll love the multis. I've kept many types of cichlids during the past 15 years, and the multis are by far my favorite kind to have. Interesting and entertaining for hours on end!:)

And I had people give me heck when I told them I stocked a 15 gallon tank with two African Cichlids in another forum.

I have a Auratus and a Red Top Zebra that is currently about 1/2 the Auratus's size. They love to hang out in caves-like structures. I make the caves so they don't have to stare at each other while they hang out inside them.

Elmware2000 said:
And I had people give me heck when I told them I stocked a 15 gallon tank with two African Cichlids in another forum.

I have a Auratus and a Red Top Zebra that is currently about 1/2 the Auratus's size. They love to hang out in caves-like structures. I make the caves so they don't have to stare at each other while they hang out inside them.

thats because the Auratus and Zebra are very aggresive and grow much bigger than the species listed above. "African Cichlids" is not a single type of fish that can be discussed as such :)

Back
Top Bottom