10-gallon reef????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible to have a 10-gallon reef or semi-reef tank with maybe one or two fish? Someone told me you couldn't have a SW tank less than 75 gallons, but that just doesn't seem right with me? Of course, I'm the kind of person that thinks I can do anything and it always gets me in trouble.

Gracias

Yep. Nano tanks are kept by some. I believe they are as small as 8g. However. for a beginner hobbyist, it may be much more work and trouble than keeping a 75g. Stable conditions are easier to keep with more water volume.

If you read well, do your homework, and practice well, you can keep a succesful 10g SW tank.

Do a search on this sight for nano tanks and nano reefs. I have heard of tanks as little as 2.5 gallons being succesful.

You can do it, just do not plan on it being very cheap or easy :)

If you want to do it, spend a few weeks researching and looking into your options. Also, make sure that you will be OK with only one or two fish, because anything more will be pushing it. I can give you a price breakdown on my 15g tank if you want.

If a LFS told you couldn't have anything less than a 75g it's probably that they want to make more money off of you. Or the person still has the old school mentality that nano's dont work

There is a 1G nano that has been up and running at our LFS for months..its beautiful, but LPS only and requires daily attention.

I have a 5 gal, 10 gal, 29 gal and a 75 gal. The smaller tanks are no more work than the 75. Really depends on what you what to do. I had a 38 gal Fo tank for 7+ years with no problems.

Lighting is about the only real expensive piece. Small lights are not necessarily cheaper than bigger lights. My 5 gal cost me $35 for the tank and filter and I bought a screw in PC bulb for $10 and a heater for $20. The rest(LR/LS), I already had.

It all depends on what you want to keep :)

You could do it. but it is very difficult to maintain and won't provide much room for anything more than a small fish and some corals.

I highly recommend starting with a 55 gallon. If you are an experenced FW hobbiest, you could go smaller and get away with it. I started with a 37 gallon tank. But I have also been into fishkeeping for 18 years.

As everyone has mentioned here it is possible to do SW tanks that small, infact, I have seen pics of 1/2gal. nano reefs! If you are new to the hobby it should be avoided though. Smaller tanks are much less forgiving and a lot easier to screw up if you are inexperienced. The moe volume you have the less parameters flucuate, they simply provide more room for error. I am not saying you could not start with a small tank, it would just require even more time and attention then alarger system. I would certainly begin to question the LFS that gave you that advice. I would not seek them out for any more information...Lando

nano-reef.com has a good forum of people just keeping nano's. Make sure you read a lot about upkeep, and test often.

my first tank for ether salt or fresh was a 9 gal salt water, and it worked out very well, but after a wile i wanted more stuff and got a 25 gal, there alot better and easyer to take care of.
by the way a also take care of a 3 gal salt water change for a friend and it is really butiful.

What you don't want to do is get a small tank and load up on fish. Most nano's have 1-2 fish at the most. Mine have softies and inverts mostly.

heres a pic of my 10g nano at 3 months.... just some inspiration :)

img_300787_0_f0ad36caf7dc67e071d2a130da5ed31a.jpg

Gorgeous tank!!! Thanks for all your advice!! I'm going to do some more research before I decide. I'm leaning toward trying a brackish tank because that seems to be 1/2 way between SW and FW. Then, once I get the hang of that trying the nano tank.

Have a SAFE and happy new year!

Back
Top Bottom