10 gallon setup for betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirby9612

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with several ornaments and some gravel. i'm planning to put a male Betta in it
It has a 10 gallon-rated Tetra Whisper filter and no heater.

However, let me elaborate on the tank's backstory. It once housed one feeder goldfish from April-August 2013 , and that fish in particular had extreme problems with stunting and twitching. I medicated the tank with PraziPro once, thinking the twitching was caused by flukes. However I found the goldfish dead on August 18. From October 2013 to March 2014, it housed another feeder goldfish, without any filter or decor or gravel. However, that fish started swimming lopsided in late February and died on March 1st.

It's worth noting that didn't cycle the first goldfish's tank which may had been a factor leading to his death, I put him in right after setting it up, (I suspect his death was due to bad genes, stunting, and high nitrates) Because of this, I'm letting the empty tank run for at least a week. (I added API quick start and Tetra Aquasafe). The tank seems to be very slightly cloudy too.

I fear there may be a problem with the tank's construction, (It's manufactured by Marineland and was part of a 120$ starter set.) that is causing fish in the tank to act abnormally.

Also, the filter is only being held in it's place by a single piece of tape attached to the tank rim, because the suction cups just simply vanished. And the filter media seems to be a bit filthy, and it may still hold traces of PraziPro and so on. Is this safe?

Please answer my questions, I don't want my new betta to suffer the same fate as the fish that had previously inhabited the tank.

Hi, I believe your tank is going through a bacteria bloom at this moment an that's why there is cloudy water. Also with goldfish, theirs a huge list of what's and ifs with feeders, so I think the tank is fine as far as manufacturing goes.
Also. I would rinse the media in tank temp water then reace in the filter. You may need to buy a heater for a better as they prefer 75 degrees temp. No sharp decorations or anything with edges that it could tear fins on

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your goldfish died of you not cycling your tank. And also, goldfish should be kept in bigger tanks, 40+ gallons, due to their bioload (aka how much they poop). And the tetra safe start and quick start, they are just products. You need an ammonia source if you want to cycle your tank. I would recommend putting in some flake food, and letting it rot, as that will produce ammonia and start your cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your goldfish died of you not cycling your tank. And also, goldfish should be kept in bigger tanks, 40+ gallons, due to their bioload (aka how much they poop). And the tetra safe start and quick start, they are just products. You need an ammonia source if you want to cycle your tank. I would recommend putting in some flake food, and letting it rot, as that will produce ammonia and start your cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Listen to this. NO goldfish regardless whether it's a feeder or not should be kept in that small a tank. It's just begging for disease and poor water quality. I'm saying this from experience. My first fish were goldfish in a 2.5 gallon tank. It ended horrendously.

Also, contrary to what many believe, bettas prefer warm water upwards of 80 degrees.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Paragraphs 1-3, wow. Research research research before any more fish die. Its not the tank, its your practices that are causing this. The tank is a bit small but you need to learn about water change schedule, nitrogen cycling and general fish care 101 before adding any fish.

Edit to add: I wasn't trying to be rude here, just reflect how much needs to be learned. A few points,
A tank should always have filter.
Like Caleb said, gold fish in a 10 gallon is no bueno.
A betta will make a nice home in this tank once you know what to do. I'd get a new filter, a hang on back style that doesn't use suction cups, a heater if you don't still have yours, a thermometer and some nice fake plants for the betta to float on.

Paragraphs 1-3, wow. Research research research before any more fish die. Its not the tank, its your practices that are causing this. The tank is a bit small but you need to learn about water change schedule, nitrogen cycling and general fish care 101 before adding any fish.

Edit to add: I wasn't trying to be rude here, just reflect how much needs to be learned. A few points,
A tank should always have filter.
Like Caleb said, gold fish in a 10 gallon is no bueno.
A betta will make a nice home in this tank once you know what to do. I'd get a new filter, a hang on back style that doesn't use suction cups, a heater if you don't still have yours, a thermometer and some nice fake plants for the betta to float on.

To tack on to this. Silk plants or live plants are preferred. Plastic plants can tear bettas with long fins.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes, I agree with all that TMRC said above. I would get some silk or live plants so they don't tear the betta's fins. Also, depending on your betta's temper and the tank's hiding places I would add some small and peaceful schooling fish. Maybe some corydoras, neon tetras, celestial pearl danios, or harlequin rasboras. Good luck, and make sure to get a heater.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

Yes, I agree with all that TMRC said above. I would get some silk or live plants so they don't tear the betta's fins. Also, depending on your betta's temper and the tank's hiding places I would add some small and peaceful schooling fish. Maybe some corydoras, neon tetras, celestial pearl danios, or harlequin rasboras. Good luck, and make sure to get a heater.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

Make sure it is Pygmy corydoras. Others get too large for this tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

i agree with all of the statements about the heater. my bettas seem to be happiest at temps between 77-80°F. :)

Back
Top Bottom