10 gallon stocking idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drakine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm setting up a new 10 gallon and until now I have only done smaller 5 gallon aquariums for my two betta. I was thinking of going a bit more difficult with this one and stocking a few different species. So my question is, would the following amount of fish be too much bio-load for a 10 gallon aquarium? If so, what would you recommend cutting down on or not including?

1 Betta
3 guppies
6 Kuhli loaches
1 Nerite
1 Golden Bee shrimp colony (15 shrimp)
1 Bloody mary colony (15)
1 Crystal shrimp colony (15)

Skip the kuhli loaches, they need 20 gallons to be happy/healthy. Try pygmy corydoras instead.
Your betta might kill the shrimp.

Alright, I'll look at some corydoras. I'm putting in a smaller female betta with them and while I do want her to eat the fry I will be keeping an eye on the tank for a while to make sure she doesn't attack the adults.

thank you for the advice!

Oh also if you are 100% set on having guppies make sure that they are all females as well. Bettas think that guppies are other bettas and can/will attack them. Females give you the best chance of that not happening but it doesn't guarantee it.

Ah okay, I wasn't aware of that, I'll be keeping a very close eye on all the tank inhabitants for the first few weeks so if there are any problems I will be sure to take more aggressive fish back to the store. I am considering just not getting a betta for this tank and sticking to more communal fish.

Back
Top Bottom