10 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just set up my ten gallon again! I'm gonna do a fish less cycle. I wanna do something interesting. I want something that can live its whole life in a 10 gallon.

Look into shell dwellers. They are such cool little fish, very different, and I think would be alot of fun. You could do little puffers although I don't know anything about them. You could do Scarlet Badis and Red Cherry Shrimp. There are alot of neat little nano fish you could do.

Rivercats said:
Look into shell dwellers. They are such cool little fish, very different, and I think would be alot of fun. You could do little puffers although I don't know anything about them. You could do Scarlet Badis and Red Cherry Shrimp. There are alot of neat little nano fish you could do.

Shell dweller = in love. I just looked it up lol. Scarlet badis are really cool too. Do you have any of these ?

I'd totally go with the shell dwellers if you're looking for something interesting. I don't have them but watched them at the Store and they were so cool
Scarlet badis' are nice as well if you're going for color, but just aren't too active and very shy

Shell dwellers are definitely gonna go into that tank! One thing I noticed though is that liveaquaria said that they need a minimum of 50 gallons. Although I think that's somewhat debatable since they are so small and grow at such a slow rate.

I'm wondering about overstocking because I would want to spread the aggression out. But I don't know what a good number would be for just a 10 gallon.

I've never kept shell dwellers since I have big tanks but over the past year I have really thought hard about setting up a 20L I have sitting empty. They are just so fascinating as I've seen them in store tanks once in a while. In a 10g I would think a male and two or three females would be good. I know two males in that size tank wouldn't work. And then alot of shells. I like the Many Banded Shell Dweller, Lamprologusmultifasciatus.

Rivercats said:
I've never kept shell dwellers since I have big tanks but over the past year I have really thought hard about setting up a 20L I have sitting empty. They are just so fascinating as I've seen them in store tanks once in a while. In a 10g I would think a male and two or three females would be good. I know two males in that size tank wouldn't work. And then alot of shells. I like the Many Banded Shell Dweller, Lamprologusmultifasciatus.

Yeah as soon as I saw that they were African cichlids, I was sold. There's even a forum dedicated just to shell dwellers. It's probably cause they're so cool.

Well I have a few months to get my parameters right for the little guys. I hope you set up that 20L!

Shell dwellers would be sooo cool to go in that tank. Next time Petco has the dollar per gallon sale I am going to buy 8 more tanks, one of which will be for shell dwellers, and also serve as a quarantine tank before that.
They seem so cute with their little antics re-arranging their shells and digging in the sand.... I can't wait!

Make sure you do a build thread when you start the cycle ;)

Scottyhorse said:
Shell dwellers would be sooo cool to go in that tank. Next time Petco has the dollar per gallon sale I am going to buy 8 more tanks, one of which will be for shell dwellers, and also serve as a quarantine tank before that.
They seem so cute with their little antics re-arranging their shells and digging in the sand.... I can't wait!

I already started the cycle. I'm getting the shell dweller in a few months. There's driftwood in the tank. So I need to take that out and add rock to it. I wanna try to make it a bio tope.

I never seem to catch the $/gal sale at Petco. Do they not put it in their flyers they mail out, or are you checking their site weekly?

I never seem to catch the $/gal sale at Petco. Do they not put it in their flyers they mail out, or are you checking their site weekly?

A petco by me has the $1/g right now, I'm not sure about every store but generally it's a national thing. Call your local store and check

A petco by me has the $1/g right now, I'm not sure about every store but generally it's a national thing. Call your local store and check

Hot diggity...so does mine. Only up to 55G, though; I was hoping to get a 65 or 90. Hmmm...decisions decisions...

Hot diggity...so does mine. Only up to 55G, though; I was hoping to get a 65 or 90. Hmmm...decisions decisions...

Yea it's always 10g-55g, I can't imaging what size tank I would have if they did their $1/g for every size tank!! Haha. My input would be get the 55, I love mine and I got it from petco. Stand was only $140 at petsmart and its a modern looking one

Yea it's always 10g-55g, I can't imaging what size tank I would have if they did their $1/g for every size tank!! Haha. My input would be get the 55, I love mine and I got it from petco. Stand was only $140 at petsmart and its a modern looking one

I'm gonna run this by the boss...no way I could sneak one of those into the house :) Our 56 gallon column tank (from Marineland) fits perfectly in a nook in the family room since it isn't 4ft long; it's too bad they don't include those in the sale.

I might use this as a reason to grab a 10 gallon to use as a quarantine/hospital tank, though.

I'm gonna run this by the boss...no way I could sneak one of those into the house :) Our 56 gallon column tank (from Marineland) fits perfectly in a nook in the family room since it isn't 4ft long; it's too bad they don't include those in the sale.

I might use this as a reason to grab a 10 gallon to use as a quarantine/hospital tank, though.

Take her with you to the store and let her pick out some fish, might make her decide to let you get the tank you want. I let my girlfriend pick out her favorite Cory's when I wanted my second tank, and let her pick out the beta that went into my third

Back
Top Bottom