10 gallon stocking... will this work!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok using AQAdvisor, I want to do this idea. I know AQAdvisor isn't the most accurate website, but tell me what I should drop from this:
-5 female betta (a sorority)
-4 pygmy cories
-2 african dwarf frogs
-sparkling gourami

If anything, I'd drop the sparkling gourami. By the way, I never bought these yet. Would this work?

As I've said before, a sorority in a 10 gallon isn't a great idea. If you do it, be prepared to separate the females if necessary. They are likely to turn on one another. I don't think the frogs are great ideas either. They will likely be picked on by the bettas. Also, gouramis and bettas do not mix well. They are both labyrinth fishes, and especially in a smaller tank, fighting is likely. I would stuck with the cories, the sparkling gourami, and maybe a school of nano fish like ember tetras or celestial pearl danios / galaxy rasboras (same fish, different name). Or substitute ONE female betta OR male betta for the gourami.

I would highly recommend doing this sort of set up in at least a 20g long, or waiting until you're a bit more experienced. Not trying to sound rude, just want to give you and your fish the best chances for success.

As I've said before, a sorority in a 10 gallon isn't a great idea. If you do it, be prepared to separate the females if necessary. They are likely to turn on one another. I don't think the frogs are great ideas either. They will likely be picked on by the bettas. Also, gouramis and bettas do not mix well. They are both labyrinth fishes, and especially in a smaller tank, fighting is likely. I would stuck with the cories, the sparkling gourami, and maybe a school of nano fish like ember tetras or celestial pearl danios / galaxy rasboras (same fish, different name). Or substitute ONE female betta OR male betta for the gourami.

+1
That is very good advice.

Prepared

I have a back-up 1 gallon for temporary living until I can take it back to pet store.
The frogs, I've seen them often get along with betta. I will not get the gourami by the way and I'll test it out, if it doesn't seem like it's working out, I have a temporary vase along with the 1 gallon fish tank, then take them back to the store, or give them to another aquarist.

10 gallon.....um....id do just bettas and only 5. theyll need things to hide in so thatll take away a few gallons....nothing else should fit....or you could have 2 bettas and 2 frogs....and maybe some neon tetras....corys like to swim fast and bounce around....id never stick them in anything smaller than a 20 gllon:ROFLMAO:

you can't have 2 bettas because 1 will be the alpha and the other will be terrorized until she dies... if you really want any other fish than you can't have more than 1 betta

i have two girls in a small community tank and they do no fight.but try it out if you want or not.

If you do the 5 bettas you can't have anything else, although I warn you they will not have enough room in a 10 gallon, and will fight. If not, you could have 3 guppies and the rest of the stock, although some say that ADF's don't do well with fish, I don't know because I have not had them.

@Jessicafish

Actually Jessicafish, ever heard of a sorority, it's the males you can't put together, so research before you correct me, but yes they MIGHT fight, but you need to learn before you can teach.

Actually Jessicafish, ever heard of a sorority, it's the males you can't put together, so research before you correct me, but yes they MIGHT fight, but you need to learn before you can teach.

Female bettas are also aggressive. That's why putting them in a 10 gallon tank isn't a recommended idea. While they are less aggressive than males by a long shot they still fight and in a tank that small the fighting will be more intense. Jessica's advice is sound, if a little vaguely worded.

Mebbid

@Mebbid, I know, but she is stereotyping by telling me they WILL fight and WILL kill each other... but alas, that is just a lowly assumption.

@Mebbid, I know, but she is stereotyping by telling me they WILL fight and WILL kill each other... but alas, that is just a lowly assumption.

*shrug* You wanted advice on keeping a sorority in a 10g tank and got an overwhelmingly large number of responses suggesting against it. You seem dead set on doing it anyways so good luck and let us know how it works out.

Mebbid, actually, I asked if the sparkling gourami would work with those fish. Meaning, do I have to drop the gourami.

Actually, what she was referring to was having TWO females, not a sorority. In most cases, a pair of females will end up fighting and killing each other. This is why people keep sororities, not pairs. The aggression will not be spread over multiple fish, so the less dominant fish will bear all of the aggression from the dominant one. You could get lucky and get two passive females, or go to a breeder and get sibling females which are more likely to get along, but in most cases one of them will end up killing the other.

Well if she was referring to that, shouldn't she be clearer about that??? Anyways, I'm probably done with this thread, so sorry if I don't reply to any more posts.

Well if she was referring to that, shouldn't she be clearer about that??? Anyways, I'm probably done with this thread, so sorry if I don't reply to any more posts.

Don't get into a hissy fit, everyone responding to this thread is only trying to help.

Aside from that, I've done a betta sorority in a 16 gallon tank. It wasn't heavily planted, but I did have a large plant covering the surface, which is where they usually chill at. They hardly ever fought, and (these were mature females) I kept about 7 of them. They would literally form pairs on their own, it was the weirdest thing. You can get away with 6 bettas in your tank, just densely plant it and remember to keep up with the feedings an socialize with them to stop them from being cranky.

No dwarf frogs

Ottos would be nice

No cories

For a CUC I'd do snails or shrimp

Back
Top Bottom