10 Gallon Tank Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyFishGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new ten gallon and I'm having a hard time deciding what fish I should get.

I'm thinking a community or a single species tank (like a male female pair or a group of males or females).

Any ideas? advice? I don't have much tank to work with. :)

ps. I don't want a male betta. I already have one. I was thinking a few female bettas but I'm a little worried about aggression issues.

Thanks for the help :fish2:

I have a new ten gallon and I'm having a hard time deciding what fish I should get.

I'm thinking a community or a single species tank (like a male female pair or a group of males or females).

Any ideas? advice? I don't have much tank to work with. :)

ps. I don't want a male betta. I already have one. I was thinking a few female bettas but I'm a little worried about aggression issues.

Thanks for the help :fish2:

Endlers livebearers are a favorite of mine, they are a bit smaller than guppies but males are much more colorful. Another idea is threadfin rainbows, which are very elegant and readily breeding. For bottom dwellers you could do a small shoal of panda corys or pygmy corys.

Spotted blue eye rainbowfish are also really nice for ten gals as they are a bit smaller than most dwarf rainbowfish. They also breed pretty easily. I have mine in a heavily planted ten gal with RCS and they do well together.

Another fun option would be a pair of dwarf puffers.

Hmmm, well in my 10 gal I used to have 2 balloon mollies, 3 platys, a male betta and 4 harlequin rasboras. Although I know you dont want a male betta, so you could maybe do a dwarf gourami of some sort, there are many different kinds to choose from. All got along well in my community! :)

Hmmm, well in my 10 gal I used to have 2 balloon mollies, 3 platys, a male betta and 4 harlequin rasboras. Although I know you dont want a male betta, so you could maybe do a dwarf gourami of some sort, there are many different kinds to choose from. All got along well in my community! :)

That is fairly overstocked, as mollies get too big for a 10g and you really should only have 1 platy (max) in a 10. Aside from guppies and endlers, livebearers are not great options for 10s. I would recommend nano fish like CPDs, Chili rasbora, or threadfin rainbows.

That is fairly overstocked, as mollies get too big for a 10g and you really should only have 1 platy (max) in a 10. Aside from guppies and endlers, livebearers are not great options for 10s. I would recommend nano fish like CPDs, Chili rasbora, or threadfin rainbows.
Yeah, all were adoption fish (except for the rasboras) and balloon mollies grow to a maximum of 3" and only grew to about 2" and are now in my 75 gal community tank and are a wopping 3 and a half inches. and the platys and mollies were all males, so overstocking wasn't an option. lol, but somehow I still managed to get fry when I put them in a bucket with females when I moved. haha

Endlers livebearers are a favorite of mine, they are a bit smaller than guppies but males are much more colorful. Another idea is threadfin rainbows, which are very elegant and readily breeding. For bottom dwellers you could do a small shoal of panda corys or pygmy corys.

I second the endlers, they're really awesome little fish :)

You could do a tank of nano fish like:
celestial pearl danios
ember tetras
chili rasboras
the above mentioned spotted blue eyed rainbowfish.

And you could have some shrimp for a cleanup crew.

Back
Top Bottom