10 gallon tank new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hayden58

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting close to adding fish to my tank and was wondering what would be good in a 10 gallon planted tank.

Take your time, start adding slowly. Danios are a good hearty fish to start, or perhaps a small school of 7 to 9 tetras, I like rummy nosed tetras personally, but there's a variety of tertras. Once they are established and the tank is staying stable maybe something show, like a Betta or a Gourami. When start getting enough algae to support it, a bristlenose pleco. 10 gallons will be easier to keep balanced if you don't put too much biomass in.

Regular danios need a bigger tank as they are very active, and bristlenose plecos are too big and messy for a 10 gallon.

Hayden58, is your tank cycled? What kind of fish do you like? Any colors you'd prefer to have?

Regular danios need a bigger tank as they are very active, and bristlenose plecos are too big and messy for a 10 gallon.

Hayden58, is your tank cycled? What kind of fish do you like? Any colors you'd prefer to have?

not cycled yet i'm in the process.. i like guppies but can never seem to keep the alive so basically anything that is very active with lots of color

I thought bristlenose stay pretty small. I have one in my 20 gal, he's been growing really slow, only about an inch now and in there about 4 months. I vacuum and PWC twice a week, not too much mess in substrate

I thought bristlenose stay pretty small. I have one in my 20 gal, he's been growing really slow, only about an inch now and in there about 4 months. I vacuum and PWC twice a week, not too much mess in substrate
They stay on the small side for plecos, but they're still plecos, and plecos are messy fish. I have mine in a 30g. And he poops all over the place. Too many people suggest an algae eater/cleaner fish as a necessity, when they are not.

The owner is the only one who can clean a tank, and algae is something that is usually caused by an imbalance of lighting or nutrients, also fixable by the owner. Plecos should be kept because the person want one, not because they will 'fix' a problem. And they poop far more than any mess they could 'clean'.

Ah. I really like them. But TBH, I don't really find much mess from either. I have a Blue Eyed Lemon in my 55 gallon and a black one in my 20 gallon. No algae in the smaller tank, but I do get quite a bit in the larger one. I just keep up with it myself, it's too much for the Lemon still. Just too much light in the room I think

I also think danios are too active for a ten gallon.

On the other hand, tetras are great, my brother always pushes me to get neons or cardinal tetras. A single or pair of dwarf gourami are really pretty. Small cories are also fun.

Back
Top Bottom