10 Gallon to 20 Gallon, is it as Simple as...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I am currently cycling my 50 gallon tank. Since I would still like to keep a smaller tank(I currently have a 10 gallon) to house my African Dwarf Frog and maybe add a couple more African Dwarf Frogs to the smaller tank once the fish made the move to the 50 gallon tank, I thought I might replace the 10 gallon with a 20 gallon long.

So my question is, since I have one 50 watt heater in the 10 gallon and an AquaClear 20 filter in the 10 gallon...and since I do %50 water changes... Can it be as simple as:

1) Putting some new gravel in the 20 gallon long.
2) Filling it half full with dechlorinated water of the proper temperature.
3) Moving all of the gravel from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon.
4) Buy a second 50 watt heater so that the 20 gallon has 2x50 watt including the old one from the 10 gallon.
5) Moving the fish, all of the water, decorations and the AquaClear 20 filter from the 10 gallon into the 20 gallon.

Or does the 20 gallon have to be cycled first? My thought is if I move all the gravel and water and the same filter that has the capacity to handle the 20 gallons into the new tank since I do 50% water changes anyways and scrub the algae off the sides anyways that it should work??? Or is it just not that simple??

Thank You.

That's about right. You don't have to move the water but that's up to you. I would add a second ac20 or 30 because the 20L is 30" and one filter will most likely leave a dead spot with movement.

That's about right. You don't have to move the water but that's up to you. I would add a second ac20 or 30 because the 20L is 30" and one filter will most likely leave a dead spot with movement.

Thanks mike, Now what if I wanted to get a complete different color of gravel? Or is not moving the gravel with everything pushing it? OR could I put some of the old gravel in a mesh bag or something, bury it under the new color of gravel and then dig it up and remove it in a month or so?

Or to further that question... what if I put 3 AQ20 filters in the 20 turned onto low for a month while I built a stand that would cascade so that the 10 gallon would be on top and the 20 below and then moved one of the filters back to the 10 gallon and put some fish back in that?

In my opinion 90% of the good BB is in the media in the filter. I have never worried about changing tanks or substrate as long as my filter media gets moved and the stock stays the same for a week or two. Of course you will want to test amo nitrite and nitrate daily for a week just incase.

I would definitely use the water from the 10 gallon. It would be like doing a 50 percent water change. Less chance of killing off the BB...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would definitely use the water from the 10 gallon. It would be like doing a 50 percent water change. Less chance of killing off the BB...

While doing this wont hurt there really is little to no BB in the water. Its more on the décor and gravel but as I said most all is in the filter where there is a constant flow of food for the BB.

But the ph and chemistry of the water effects the BB....

When I upgraded from an 8 to a 20 I used all tap dechlorinated, matched the temp and moved over bags of gravel as well as my filter media and had quite a "mini cycle". Lasted 2 weeks and I lost 3 fish..

When I upgraded to a 75...I used the water from water changes and I matched the ph...instant cycle

I don't know for sure...maybe a fluke thing but I would not use all tap on an upgrade...

I've never had a mini cycle when doing this. I simply add quite a bit of my old filter media, because, as Mike said, almost all your BB are in the filter media. That is the most important thing. Make sure you get enough old media so the colony of BB can get a good start in the new tank. Either that, or just use the filter media that was in the original tank, and you shouldn't have any problems. And yes, be sure to keep an eye on the nitrite and nitrate to be sure nothing goes awry.

But the ph and chemistry of the water effects the BB....

When I upgraded from an 8 to a 20 I used all tap dechlorinated, matched the temp and moved over bags of gravel as well as my filter media and had quite a "mini cycle". Lasted 2 weeks and I lost 3 fish..

When I upgraded to a 75...I used the water from water changes and I matched the ph...instant cycle

This is true. I left out the fact that I do 50% weekly to 70% 3 times a week water changes depending on which tank I'm servicing so my water parameters are not off from my tap. I also never mess with trying to change my ph. I have upgraded many tanks and can scoop a fish from one tank and drop in another tank with no problems. all parameters and temp match in all my tanks.

Since we are started on this subject...I have always wondered how people with goldfish or discus routinely do 100% water changes weekly without messing up the BB

Since we are started on this subject...I have always wondered how people with goldfish or discus routinely do 100% water changes weekly without messing up the BB

I can't speak for goldies but I can tell you that since the WC's are so large and so often, (with my Discus) it's convinced me that there is very little to no BB in the water column. I also wipe down the walls and base of the tank with every WC therefore making me more comfortable that the BB resides in the filter.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Then why with other tanks are you told not to do 100% water changes.. Now I'm confused

Then why with other tanks are you told not to do 100% water changes.. Now I'm confused

The only time I know of that a large water change could be bad is with old tank syndrome . Where the nitrates are so high and ph has dropped very low. This is where smaller changes need to be done and worked up to the larger changes. 50% weekly is a generic but manageable amount for most. As long as you have adequate filtration with adequate bio media, large water changes will only benefit the well being of the fish. IMO the min water changes that should be done is enough to keep nitrates at or below 20 and frequent enough to replace minerals that get depleted. Again I don't consider my self an expert by no means but this has worked perfectly for me and most of this I have learned from members on here that have or have had some amazing fish.

So what I have done in the meantime while I build a stand for the 20 long is since there is no place to put a second AQ20 filter in my 10 gallon without ruining the hood I have taken the charcoal pack out of the existing AQ20, added in to the other AQ70 in the 50 gallon I started cycling on DEC31(The second AQ70 on that is where my old AQ20 sponge went) and I have taken the pack of biomedia rocks that came with my new AQ20 and put it in with the AQ20 that is running on my 10 gallon so hopefully in the next few days to a week that it will take me to build a bigger stand to put the 20 long the rocks will have gained some bacteria?

Back
Top Bottom