10 gallon vs 20 gallon - Query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone offer any help or advice? Why is it taking twice as long to cycle my 10 gallon tank. I do have a couple of differences....with the smaller tank.
Its set up with course sand, wood and a carbon filter. The wood has been properly soaked and has not clouded the water neither are tannins visible.
Smaller tank has been set up for three weeks and has two white and two back widows in it.
I am regularly changing water and testing using API master.I Cant move from the ammonia stage...reading 0.5ppm every time...then I water change.
My PH is also fairly low at 6 though...nitrate and nitrite are zero.
I have no issues with the 20 gallon tank at all...that fully cycled in 6 weeks....what am I doing wrong??

Anyone offer any help or advice? Why is it taking twice as long to cycle my 10 gallon tank. I do have a couple of differences....with the smaller tank.
Its set up with course sand, wood and a carbon filter. The wood has been properly soaked and has not clouded the water neither are tannins visible.
Smaller tank has been set up for three weeks and has two white and two back widows in it.
I am regularly changing water and testing using API master.I Cant move from the ammonia stage...reading 0.5ppm every time...then I water change.
My PH is also fairly low at 6 though...nitrate and nitrite are zero.
I have no issues with the 20 gallon tank at all...that fully cycled in 6 weeks....what am I doing wrong??

Your pH is why. Anytime pH gets in the 6's you need to do a large water change to (hopefully) help restore the pH. Your pH is low enough to where it's probably stalled the cycle, hence why you can get past the ammonia stage. I think it may be coral is what you add to help raise pH? Not to sure on that (still learning :)), hopefully someone else can chime in and give you a definite answer. Just stay away from any of the pH up/down products, they do more harm than good.

whenever i test my water n its low Ph i always do a change....up to 75 %...my ph from tap is 7.....in 3 weeks water been changed 15 times

whenever i test my water n its low Ph i always do a change....up to 75 %...my ph from tap is 7.....in 3 weeks water been changed 15 times

I really have no idea then. A large water change should usually help restore the pH.

I have a couple questions. What is the Ph in your 20g? Is it also so low? What is the Ph of your tap water after it sits being aerated 24 hours so it can gas out then tested for its true Ph reading?

The problem with a Ph that gets down to 6 and lower, is that it causes benefical bacteria to slow down and even stop. Hence your tank won't cycle. Which makes me wonder what is different between the two tanks?

My ph from tap is 7....in the other tank its 7.4 and rarely moves....the only difference is the size....wood....and course sand ......confused.
Dont really wanna add chemicals??

No, you don't need chemicals. Go to a fish store (most should have this but call in advance) in the salt water section. Get a bag of crushed coral or argonite (unfortunately they only sell large bags and you won't need much). Then get a mesh media bag (I know Petsmart has them if there's one near you) or a clean nylon stocking (never washed with chemicals) and add a few pinches of the coral to the bag. Do a large water change to get PH up some, then the bag of coral into your filter (if it'll fit; if not just put it into the tank near the intake tube of the filter). Wait a day or so and test PH again. Add more if needed; or take out some if PH is too high. Try to get it up to at least 7-7.4, whatever your normal PH should be.

You also might want to test your tap water for true PH. The PH out of the tap often changes once it outgasses, so leave a glass out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test PH again. This is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be (Probably 7.4 if that's what your other tank's PH is unless there's something in there that's making it rise). The wood could also be dropping PH in the 10 gal as wood releases tannins it can drop PH. With a PH of 6 though the bacteria are having trouble forming which is why the cycle is stuck.

Also is your 20 gal fully established (cycled)? If so for how long? You can try adding a small piece of media from your 20 g's filter to the 10 gal to help seed it with more bacteria. You'd still need to get the PH up though but the added bacteria should help the cycle along. Just test your 20 gal daily for a week or so in case there are any temporary toxin spikes from removing some media, so if this happens do some extra water changes until it levels out again.

Also you have 4 black widow tetras in a 10 gal? Is this long-term or a quarantine? They get to be about 2-2.5" fully grown so a larger tank would be more suitable for them long-term.

Last edited:
You've already been given good advice from others, just wanted to let you know my 10g fish IN took 8 wks to fully cycle, at week 6 the nitrites showed up.

Shell thanks...thought it may take a bit longer.
Library...Thankyou....just bought the stuff and going to try it out.
Thankyou all once again!!!

A massive big up to library girl!!!! I followed your advice....and guess what....it worked...my ph is back to normal...wow!! Thankyou!
Thanks to all for your help.

You're welcome! Just keep an eye on it; if it drops more, add more coral. The cycle should start progressing now if you can keep PH stable. Good luck!

Yep, leave it in there, if you take it out it could drop again. There's no harm in leaving it. My water is pretty soft and I have some coral in my filter even with a cycled tank with fish. You may not need it once the cycle completes but leave it in there for now.

Im having same problem,ph always in 6 stage,Rivercats advised me to use crushed coral a bit at a time in a nylon bag,better im filter is theres room,i have no room.in mine so he said to put it near filter flow,at mo its 6.4 as it needs to be done slowly adding small bits until you get it where you want and it will stay stable,which ive just learnt stable is better and ph up/down products do not work,just shortlived,my tapwater ph is 7 too but w/c's didn't raise it.

Yes....i hear what your saying.....i too Dont have a filter large enough in this tank to house it. So i bought a.mesh bag n coral....half filled the bag...washed it.....did 75 % change ...but the bag behind the wood but in a high flow area....tested water 24 hours later...and...its gone to 7.2..amazing. Will keep the bag in there till tank has cycled ...then see what happens...but hopefully it will kick start my cycle again. Hope yours working well?

Hi sounds like you are having fun? I know the water down your way is very soft,hence the low P/H. Bogwood will lower the P/H in your tank did you say you didn't have this in your other tank? Also I believe you do not do water changes whilst cycling as this simply takes out the bacteria food? Also I believe you wouldn't have carbon in there? when i was on holiday down there a few years ago I visited a tropical fish shop and they said how hard it was to cycle a tank because of the P/H so you are not alone. We used to go to Callington just over the border in Cornwall :)

Im having same problem,ph always in 6 stage,Rivercats advised me to use crushed coral a bit at a time in a nylon bag,better im filter is theres room,i have no room.in mine so he said to put it near filter flow,at mo its 6.4 as it needs to be done slowly adding small bits until you get it where you want and it will stay stable,which ive just learnt stable is better and ph up/down products do not work,just shortlived,my tapwater ph is 7 too but w/c's didn't raise it.

Tropicalfishlady I'm a she, just thought you might like to know :brows:

Back
Top Bottom