10 gallon wet/dry idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugeyefireguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a spare ten gallon tank that I am considering turning into a wet/dry filter for my oscar tank. It will be placed under the display tank in the stand about 2.5 feet below the top of the display tank. Any Idea what size pump to run in this to maintain 300gph roughly? I plan to use 3/4 -1" piping but I am in the planning stage so everything is open to suggestions. I want to do this project to add bio filtration to the already in place filter (penguin 350.) Thanks in advance.

Just curious. Why wet and dry ? All wet biofiltration works exceptionally well and you might just make that tank a big biofilter, or sump, if you wished to.

I get the wet/dry filter was a bit of a fad at one time, and they do function but all wet works just fine and is easier too.

Most pumps list the gph on the package, but some are a bit optimistic, some are a bit pessimistic about what gph is in real conditions, so I'd try for one that allows a bit of adjustment in flow if possible.

I thought about that, maybe divide it into a couple sections and cram it with filter floss and bio media. The pump question came about from my firefighting background. Long story short, to pump a desired gpm or gph in this case up I the tank the pressure would need to be greater than that on level ground. So the rated gph on the pump would in fact be less at the return. I just wondered how much if any would be lost. Not really short but it is what it is.

Too true. I have a friend who has built an enormous biofilter, it's about two feet square. It filters almost all his tanks, including the 75 G show tank in the living room upstairs. He drilled the floor to run the pipe, then made sure he could cover it again with a neat cut piece of the flooring if need be. Wife is into fish too, lucky soul.

Amazing fish, amazing tanks, I only wish I had a house to do this with. But he has crystal clear water in every tank.

Back
Top Bottom