10 to 40 Gallon Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TurtleFilter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I just recently got my first fish tank, a 10 gallon my brother handed down, and decided to put 3 albino corydoras (each about an inch) and a bristlenose pleco (about an inch and a half) in it. It's been about a month and everything seems to be going very well. I know I will eventually need to buy a bigger tank, which is the source of my question c:

My brother decided to upgrade and buy a larger tank, leaving me his 40 gallon. My questions is: Would it be a good idea to put my corydoras and pleco in the 40 gallon with a few other fish, and perhaps put something smaller in the 10 gallon, like a betta? If so, what else can I put in the 40 gallon?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

You could do that or you could put together a group if fish for the 40g.

What kind of fish do you like and what kind of fish stores do you have access to?

Keep in mind you will likely need a filter and heater for the 40 unless your brother donated those too. I second the question about what you like. A betta will easily be happy in a 10 g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

? how about separating them? Leave the cories in the 10g, move the bristle nose to the 40g? Or are you only wanting to keep one aquarium at a time?

Betta love 10g tanks, especially heavily planted and decorated, they also mix very well with cories- most betta will not eat from the bottom of the tank and most cories prefer life rummaging the bottom of the tank for food. You could even add a nerite snail or 2.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a decent local pet store, which is where I got my fish and some other supplies. I also have a PetSmart and a Petco about an hour away.
I really like the cichlidae family and have been looking at the dwarf cichlid specifically. I don't honestly know a whole lot about fish, but am completely open to ideas.

Cichlids are an absolutely tempting group of monsters, and I say that in the most loving way, as I'm the proud keeper of oscars, flowerhorns, a dempsey, pollini, kribensis and many unwanted "frankencichlids".

Might I suggest, though, starting a little slower and since you have a 10g with cory already set up you could go through the basic learning process with some cheaper hardy fish that way you can cycle the 40g properly and have the best home possible for your target fish?

Trust me, dwarf cichlids will greatly appreciate your effort, and so will your wallet?

Thank you for the advice, ktomminello. I think I may cycle the tank without fish for a few weeks. That should give me some extra time to think about what I want to put in it.

Good to hear ? keep us posted... You've got a really good set up as far as a "starter" tank and an "upgrade" tank, plus good starter fish for each. Sounds like you're well on your way to aquarium success.

Back
Top Bottom