100 gal Malawi Tank Rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Righto, here it is as it stands, gave away a few more fish this morning, only a few more to go.. The others i'm going to house temporarily in a smaller tank while i get this thing established and settled in.
I plan to have this thing 100x better then what it used to look like.. For those of you who never saw it, run a search engine on my posts.. Probably the last time I restarted it would be the best posts to look at.

As of yesterday..
img_841969_0_7d3a3b935dbc8bb192bbf290dbab8d27.jpg

It's going to be another Malawi bio-type.. So first port of call, beach sand!!
Considering I now live about 2 minutes drive from the beach I might just go do that right now!!

Going to keep most of the species I have in my signature again, but I have a few other special ones up my sleave ;)
Back later..

Ok, back again, isn't it strange... no matter how much you wash your sand it always makes the water cloudy anyway?

So I started washing it... and I lost patience, so I figure that I'll whack it in and just gravel vac the silt that settles on top out later..

Here's the sand and rocks i'm using, i'll be collecting some more rocks at a later date..
img_841970_0_53fdf75ba6ab0f667628f9c6565a51b8.jpg

And obviously a very cloudy tank after putting it all in. Not sure how much was there, but i'd say around 50kg's when dry :O
img_841970_1_24f0e82cff665ad5ec226af075586ad3.jpg

EDIT: bugger. Seems that I forgot to put the traditional Aussie beer in that last photo.. Oh well i'll have to remember for next time..

First major water change and vac done, 2nd being done right now..
BTW, you didn't really see those fish in there.

img_842124_0_1517477f98ddcc848c5e744f58317384.jpg

Getting there... Might paint the back black again this weekend..
Hopefully picking up two large pots full of vallis tonight for a bit of greenery..
Friend of mine also has a heap more limestone for me to put in there..

Here it is now..
img_842388_0_6c15cf1bd4c1e29a9e2509ac7d7cd6b4.jpg

Isn't it amazing, I have only been keeping cichlids for a few years, but the people that i've met along the way are fantastic. I get everything from the shops for cost price, and through our society and website I buy fry for around $2-$3AUD each. That's why I always by 10 at a time!.

Man I love this hobby.

Thanks Anne,

Not entirely happy with the scaping.
Might build up the rocks on one side and run a bed of vallis on the other..
Also decided I might not use that piece of driftwood. Doesn't quiet fit in with what i'm going for.

Ok I get where you are going with that idea. I think building the rocks up on one side is an excellent idea. I still like the driftwood. It is your choice of course, cichlids don't really care about driftwood that's for sure. :)

I'm to drunk to do anything on it now, been laying into my home made whiskey hehe
Only reason I want some drift wood is because I will eventually grab a trio of orange spot bristlenose or similar..
Might even start on the hood and stand i've been meaning to do for the last 2 years haha.

I'm loving how the natural look is coming out from the beach sand.. Really regretting not doing it ages ago.

Anyway, more updates to come when I sober up hehe

~Matty

I am surprized you went and collected sand from the beach. A lot of times that type of sand contains harmful bactera and the like. Not a very nice thing to put into an inclosed aquarium.

I hope all goes well and it does look a lot better then it did in the first picture.

I know quite a few people that have done it so i figured what the heck and give it a shot.
Pretty much went to the same spot a lot of my mates went.

More updates to come sorry guys and gals, tryna hunt down some more limestone and I got my hand messed up by a dog so i don't want to put it in the tank just yet.

All fish are gone to a better home now though, so that's good news

Small update unfortunately without pics until i can get more batteries for the digicam..
Background is painted black again.. and I am now stocking..
Got these fry now.. at between 2 and 4 cm..

4 Acei Tanzania,
7 Electric yellows,
3 Pseudotropheop chilumba females
6 Labidochromis Hongi
and
4 labidochromis mbamba

Pics soon sorry..

~Matty

As promised...

Back in action now guys and gals, you like?
Slowly adding more water

Before:
img_845906_0_6c15cf1bd4c1e29a9e2509ac7d7cd6b4.jpg

After.....
img_845906_1_462d0bd8b9f126ec4817b293f643e308.jpg

Back
Top Bottom