100% Recylced Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
On my way home the other night I found some lumber by the road and I got to thinking, that would work great for a new stand! I hate the wrought iron stands and the cost of a nice wooden stand. Besides that, most "wooden" stands are actually particle board with a wood looking sticked on it. FYI manufactorers, fish tanks are filled with WATER!! Use something stronger...:lol:. Anyways, I went back the next day with my truck and got some of it. It was full of nails and to most people it would have been worthless, but the gears in my head were turning. :ROFLMAO: I spent several hours that night removing nails so that I could build Saturday. I drew up a quick sketch and dimensions (same height as my desk that my 10 gallon is on) and went to work. It is primarily 2x6's, a little over-kill, but for free who cares?!?! I glued everything down and then nailed it. I normally wouldn't use nails, but I didn't have any 2" screws. Even with nails, I am completely confident in how much it can hold! I can sit on it without a problem. Even my Dad could sit on it without a problem and he is a big guy! It is big enough to hold atleast a 25 gallon I think and I don't know the dimensions of anything bigger. The top size is 25" by 16.5" (width of 3 2x6's) and it's 28.5" tall, same as my desk. I am pleased with how it turned out. It isn''t very visually appealing, but it won't be out on display. If I wanted to put it on display, I could put some of the indoor siding stuff that I was in the pile ( I brought plenty of that home too!) and I could have stained it to look nice. As you can probably see, the shelf isn't completely square but I took less than 2 hours to build it, most of which was nailing! If anyone wants a simple design, here you go! It will hold any tank that will fit on top.

Now all I need is a tank to put on it! Anyone in the Rochester, NY area with a 10-25 gallon setup? Obviously I don't need the stand :p :thanks:

Have a good day everybody! Happy Holidays!

** In the last picture you can notice the slight edge on the front. That way I can line up the tank so that it's parrallel with the front.

Attachments

• 101_2035.jpg
    101_2035.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 101_2037.jpg
    101_2037.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 101_2039.jpg
    101_2039.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 122
Nice! my first fishtank stand was similar, I found a piece of plywood on garbage day down the street. Some 2X4's and stolen screws from my dad later... Stand!

I ended up selling it for 40 bucks with the tank. Slap some stain on there and it'll dress up nice i'm sure. Even a 1x3 around the edge to hide all the joints. How is it with horizontal pressure? if you sit on it and wiggle your butt side to side, does it sway at all?

No sway at all. The cross-brace does a real good job preventing that. I thought about dressing it up into a fancy cabinet, because I found enough lumber to do it, But I figure I'll save it for the next projects haha. It's never going to be a display tank anyways. I just love to prove "one mans trash is another ones treasure!"

Back
Top Bottom