100g middle brace(16" deep)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where can I buy a mid brace for this size tank and how do i attach(install) it? Thanks.

Attachments

• image-4090443751.jpg
    image-4090443751.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 103
It's for a 100 gallon tank. Looks like it used to have a mid brace.

I included the tank size(100 gallon) So it's easier for who ever knows where to buy a mid brace to give me a right link for the right size mid brace.

The mid brace is actually part of the top plastic rim. If the top inner part of the rim is flush with the rest of the trip, and doesn't look like there has been any damage to it, then there was never one. Do you know how old the tank is?

slitherbomb said:
The mid brace is actually part of the top plastic rim. If the top inner part of the rim is flush with the rest of the trip, and doesn't look like there has been any damage to it, then there was never one. Do you know how old the tank is?

I know that there was one. I can tell from the silicone. Trust me. All I'm asking is where can I buy one.

slitherbomb said:

Oh, and not all mid braces are part of the top rim.

HUKIT said:
Glasscages.com - Tank Frames this is where I ordered mine from, I called to order mine since it wasn't on the website.

I called them.. They don't have one for the 100g tank. They also only sell the whole top rim and not just the mid brace. I guess I'll just go to a glass shop and get a strip(4-6" x depth of tank) of glass or two and use aquarium silicone.

Any DiY mid-brace link you guys know?

Not sure the silicone would be strong enough. I made one from aluminum stock that bent over both sides so it sort of was "clipped" on. Then it's held in place with silicone.

First time I filled the tank (225 gal) I just placed it on there loosely and after the tank was full it was very tight, so it was holding the 3/4" glass from bowing too much.

I've heard stories of a tank filled for awhile finally bursting because of too much bow out pressure. Not a pretty sight I bet...

Hey, thanks for the reply. Can you show me some pics so that I'll have an idea on how to make a brace like yours? Thanks.

If you see residual silicone where there was once a glass strip, then that is what it had. You can get another piece to fit, probably 1/2" thick. Failing that get 2 x 1/4" pieces, and bond them together. You may find it difficult to get it in so silicone is between the end of the brace and the side glass. Fill the tank to a little below the brace to cause it to bow, apply the silicone and place the brace in, (brace should probably be about 1/16" to 1/8" less than the actual inside measurement) using something to span the tank and hold the glass in place. When the brace is in place and you know you have silicone between the end of the glass brace and the tank sides, quickly siphon out the water. As the water level drops the sides will press in to the brace, squeezing out the excess silicone, which can be smoothed.
To hold the glass in place, I use a piece of wood clamped to the brace, with appropriate spacers, to keep the brace at the correct height. Make sure you clean away any of the old silicone from the front and back panes using a razor blade, and clean with alcohol or acetone before applying silicone. If you can get some GE series 1200 silicone, that would be ideal, if not, GE I for windows and Doors. Do not use anything that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchens and Baths" on the tube.

BillD said:
If you see residual silicone where there was once a glass strip, then that is what it had. You can get another piece to fit, probably 1/2" thick. Failing that get 2 x 1/4" pieces, and bond them together. You may find it difficult to get it in so silicone is between the end of the brace and the side glass. Fill the tank to a little below the brace to cause it to bow, apply the silicone and place the brace in, (brace should probably be about 1/16" to 1/8" less than the actual inside measurement) using something to span the tank and hold the glass in place. When the brace is in place and you know you have silicone between the end of the glass brace and the tank sides, quickly siphon out the water. As the water level drops the sides will press in to the brace, squeezing out the excess silicone, which can be smoothed.
To hold the glass in place, I use a piece of wood clamped to the brace, with appropriate spacers, to keep the brace at the correct height. Make sure you clean away any of the old silicone from the front and back panes using a razor blade, and clean with alcohol or acetone before applying silicone. If you can get some GE series 1200 silicone, that would be ideal, if not, GE I for windows and Doors. Do not use anything that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchens and Baths" on the tube.

Hi. I still see some residual silicone. You can still see the brace's shape... I measured and it's 10". Should that be enough? Or should I put 2 braces? I already have the silicone for that. I have some leftover when I sealed my other tank. That's a great idea on how to install the brace. Filling the tank up so that it will bow a little bit and siphoning the water out once the brace is in place. I will for sure do that! Thank you!

If the brace pulled away, you should be able to tell from the residue how thick the glass was, and 10" in width should be lots. If thin glass such as 1/4" was used, consider doubling it up. The more surface the silicone has to grab onto the stronger the bond.having the extra space provided by the bowing allows you to get the brace in without displacing the silicone you have applied. Once you get the piece in, you want to drain the tank quickly. you can do this with a larger hose or using several hoses. Good luck.

roydooms said:
I called them.. They don't have one for the 100g tank. They also only sell the whole top rim and not just the mid brace. I guess I'll just go to a glass shop and get a strip(4-6" x depth of tank) of glass or two and use aquarium silicone.

Any DiY mid-brace link you guys know?

This wont work. I tried that and it pulled apart. Tried it with epoxy and gel super glue and still didn't work. Here is a pic of what I had to do. Also they dont well just center braces. Here is a good link

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110824_164641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_164641.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20110824_164708.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_164708.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20110824_164736.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_164736.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 60
I used 3/4" by 3" wood with 1" nails. Has not bowed yet and it gives the tank a nice look

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom