100gallon just starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkiBumm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
Recomendations of fish and must haves let me know!!!
My question is what is the best filter and any othe requipment for a great running freshwater chichlid tank ? What are the most important items ?
Specially if I was on a no limit budget. I want an optimal fish tank.
Thank you I'm advanced!

Most important thing IMO for cichlids is the filter. They are messy fish! The fluval fx-5 is definitely the way to go.

Are you thinking African cichlids? If so, I think a must have is sand for the substrate.

One more thing......if you are on a no limit budget I suggest getting 2 fx-5 filters....and sending one to me!!!!!

I have some electric blue jack Dempsey's. Really awesome looking cichlids and kinda expensive. Well expensive to me. Probably chump change to you.

Well I reccomend south american cichlids. I would do 1 large one like a jack dempsey or a Texas cichlid. I would also do 2 medium ones like a firemouth and a convict or a firemouth and blue acara. I would also do some dither fish like 15 tiger barbs. I would also add a large African catfish like a african featherfin for the bottom.

If you are looking at south Americans and not that many then a canister filter will be fine if you run 2 and a powerhead. However, If you plan Africans and decide to overstock you will probably want to look into a sump.

Thanks lots of good info. Any thoughts on rope fish? Or possibly something more badass but similar?

OBEYtheFISH said:
Bichirs are awesome
I have about 12 & kept most of them in my mbuna tank

Any experiences I had were they would just lay on the bottom. They can get up to 3' long and will eat any small and hurt/slow fish.

They left each other alone never had any problems
Just in the beginning when I had a smaller fish an ornate bichir caught it

U can go wid oscars too. A 100 g tank is almost fine for 2 oscar. I hav 2 albino. They r just amazing pets.I'm in love wid dis guys. And a good canister filter is for sure...

An Oscar with some Pictus cats or Featherfins, and Silver Dollars (about 3). That is the tank I am working towards, anyway. But, I am kinda in love with Oscars. They are like water dogs. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom