10G FW Planted Build from start to finish >>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think your list is excessive.

Aren't pencilfish schoolers?

I really like badis but they tend to be shy and I don't know how often you'd see him/her. They tend to prefer live foods as well.

I have 2 otos in my 10s, always busy and they look very healthy.

The betta is a maybe, depends on the personality of the individual fish. I have a female in a 5g with pygmy spotted rasboras and pygmy cories, no issues. If you have a backup plan I'd say go for it.

Other than the otos these fish will eat shrimplets. A betta may go after adult shrimp, not sure about CPDs.

Not sure about the pencils but I'm pretty positive CPDs don't do well in low numbers. If I were you I would up them to 7 or 8 minimum. I don't think betta is a good idea here but you could always try and move him if it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aquarium looks great! I would recommend more otos though- they like to be in larger groups of at least 6. When I had otos, they always would school together. Also, I read on the skeptical aquarist that a group of otos share gut bacteria, which would help the group more overall. In my experience, they're active little fish and use the whole tank. I know a lot of people use otos in 10 gallons, but I think they might feel a bit cramped.

Thanks for the info, I used to have a few in a 10g and they seemed content but I think 6 would be overkill for a tank this size.

Do you know of any other small cats that don't require such large groups?

Thanks for pointing that out!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you do decide to get otos, they love blanched zucchini to nibble on all day, especially if they're isn't much algae in your tank!

Yea I used to feed zucchini to my Otos, I usually just use a wooden BBQ skewer and just stick it straight into the gravel and replace the veggies everyday.

I don't think your list is excessive.

Aren't pencilfish schoolers?

I really like badis but they tend to be shy and I don't know how often you'd see him/her. They tend to prefer live foods as well.

I have 2 otos in my 10s, always busy and they look very healthy.

The betta is a maybe, depends on the personality of the individual fish. I have a female in a 5g with pygmy spotted rasboras and pygmy cories, no issues. If you have a backup plan I'd say go for it.

Other than the otos these fish will eat shrimplets. A betta may go after adult shrimp, not sure about CPDs.

Ah you're right about the Pencilfish, and I wouldn't have room in the tank for a school as they get up to 2" long and cost about $20 each!

Perhaps instead I'll up the CPDs and get a pair of Badis. I kinda like the fact that they are shy, it keeps it interesting when you can't see them all the time.

The betta is a risk, I totally see that but would really like to try one. I'll add him last and if he doesn't fit in then I'll just setup a nice little 5g for him.

All of these fish will probably go for the shrimplets but I'm planning a very heavily planted and carpeted scape so hopefully some little ones will make it and keep the population steady.

Not sure about the pencils but I'm pretty positive CPDs don't do well in low numbers. If I were you I would up them to 7 or 8 minimum. I don't think betta is a good idea here but you could always try and move him if it doesn't work.

Thanks man, I agree, I'll up the CPDs, remove the pencils and although it's risky, I'm going to try the betta but regime him in another tank if he doesn't fit in.

Does anyone know of a type of killifish that would fit in this tank (10g)?

I'm thinking that if there is, then that would be a possible option instead of the betta for a centrepiece fish...

Does anyone know of a type of killifish that would fit in this tank (10g)?

I'm thinking that if there is, then that would be a possible option instead of the betta for a centrepiece fish...

A. australe might work, although when I had a pair ina community-type tank the female was nasty to all the fish: her partner, the schoolers, and the bottom feeders!

F. gardneri is also a maybe but I forgot to ask: does the tank have a lid? Killies are known to be jumpers unfortunately.

Tank looks good! You can do more than just 2 badis, if you still want other fish in here. It would be cool to do a badis species only tank with some shrimp. You could do a ratio of males to females, like 3:4 or something like that. They are really tiny fish lol. Have you looked at dwarf puffers? Can't recall if you have already said something about them. If you do end up thinking about dwarf puffs, then you would have to cut the betta. It just wouldn't work, given that the dwarfs would end up being the main aggressors. Here's some basic care info:

The 10 would be perfect for a small group, maybe 3 or 4. I have 2 in my 5.5 and they get along just fine, with the occasional territorial dispute. I also keep them with a lot of RCS, but I've seen them eat shrimplets and they chase the shrimplets with no mercy. They do leave the adult and juvenile shrimp alone though. There's 1 Amano shrimp in there as well and she's 2 times the size of the puffs so she gets left alone of course :lol: I wouldn't dare add any other fish to the tank, even in a 10 gallon, let alone a 5.5. The only fish that they always get along with and many have reported successful with are oto cats. They stay small and eat lots of algae. For some reason the puffs leave them alone. Maybe because of their dull colors and they don't move a lot?

DP's really do appreciate a planted tank. My 5.5 is very heavily planted, and they are constantly exploring and checking things out. One way to know if the puffs are bored is if they are "glass surfing". This is when they swim up and down or against the glass. My puffs do this whenever I enter the room because they are begging for food of course lol. They are highly inquisitive fish, very intelligent and very interactive as well. They peck at my hand during maintenance, beg for food, and know the difference between me and my siblings, mom and dad, probably because they know that I give them food, which brings me to the next subject of discussion :D

Dwarf puffers are listed as an intermediate fish for a reason. For me, that main reason is feeding. Most will need live food at some point. Some will accept frozen food that is waved in front of them for a while. Never, ever ever ever have I seen a puff accept flake or pellet food and I don't think I ever will. You can keep all kinds of live food cultures for them, like black worms (what I have right now), pest snails that grow and reproduce quickly, like pond, ramshorn and MTS snails, shrimp (RCS shrimplets) this may not be the best option because I would rather have shrimp in the tank to enjoy, and they cost money, which means you can make money off your live food :lol:

My blackworm culture is really simple. Just a small plastic container (just a small tupperware tub) and some plastic mesh for them to hold onto. Got a big sheet of the mesh at hobby lobby for 99 cents. Add your worms and just change the water every couple days. Don’t feed or nothing. Works perfectly for me.

Overall, they’re great fish. Pretty easy to keep IMO. Only the feeding is a problem. If you’re willing to go the extra mile for that, go ahead and try them!

A. australe might work, although when I had a pair ina community-type tank the female was nasty to all the fish: her partner, the schoolers, and the bottom feeders!

F. gardneri is also a maybe but I forgot to ask: does the tank have a lid? Killies are known to be jumpers unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions! After reading up I think it's probably best to avoid the Killies. The tank will be topless because I have the driftwood sticking out of the top and I may throw a mangrove seedling in there too just because I have one from my old saltwater sump that has been living in FW for a couple of years.

Tank looks good! You can do more than just 2 badis, if you still want other fish in here. It would be cool to do a badis species only tank with some shrimp. You could do a ratio of males to females, like 3:4 or something like that. They are really tiny fish lol. Have you looked at dwarf puffers? Can't recall if you have already said something about them. If you do end up thinking about dwarf puffs, then you would have to cut the betta. It just wouldn't work, given that the dwarfs would end up being the main aggressors. Here's some basic care info:

The 10 would be perfect for a small group, maybe 3 or 4. I have 2 in my 5.5 and they get along just fine, with the occasional territorial dispute. I also keep them with a lot of RCS, but I've seen them eat shrimplets and they chase the shrimplets with no mercy. They do leave the adult and juvenile shrimp alone though. There's 1 Amano shrimp in there as well and she's 2 times the size of the puffs so she gets left alone of course :lol: I wouldn't dare add any other fish to the tank, even in a 10 gallon, let alone a 5.5. The only fish that they always get along with and many have reported successful with are oto cats. They stay small and eat lots of algae. For some reason the puffs leave them alone. Maybe because of their dull colors and they don't move a lot?

DP's really do appreciate a planted tank. My 5.5 is very heavily planted, and they are constantly exploring and checking things out. One way to know if the puffs are bored is if they are "glass surfing". This is when they swim up and down or against the glass. My puffs do this whenever I enter the room because they are begging for food of course lol. They are highly inquisitive fish, very intelligent and very interactive as well. They peck at my hand during maintenance, beg for food, and know the difference between me and my siblings, mom and dad, probably because they know that I give them food, which brings me to the next subject of discussion :D

Dwarf puffers are listed as an intermediate fish for a reason. For me, that main reason is feeding. Most will need live food at some point. Some will accept frozen food that is waved in front of them for a while. Never, ever ever ever have I seen a puff accept flake or pellet food and I don't think I ever will. You can keep all kinds of live food cultures for them, like black worms (what I have right now), pest snails that grow and reproduce quickly, like pond, ramshorn and MTS snails, shrimp (RCS shrimplets) this may not be the best option because I would rather have shrimp in the tank to enjoy, and they cost money, which means you can make money off your live food :lol:

My blackworm culture is really simple. Just a small plastic container (just a small tupperware tub) and some plastic mesh for them to hold onto. Got a big sheet of the mesh at hobby lobby for 99 cents. Add your worms and just change the water every couple days. Don’t feed or nothing. Works perfectly for me.

Overall, they’re great fish. Pretty easy to keep IMO. Only the feeding is a problem. If you’re willing to go the extra mile for that, go ahead and try them!

Thanks for the info! I absolutely love puffers, I've had some green puffers and porcupines in the past. I don't want to have puffers in this tank though as they will most likely eat the shrimp and I'd like to have a few community fish.

What do you think of this stocking list?

• 6 Celestial Pearl Danios
• 6 rum nose tetra OR golden mountain cloud minnows
• 4 Otos
• 2 Scarlet Badis
• 4 Golden and blue Mystery snails
• RCS

Although that's a heavy load for a 10g, I think with the heavy plants they should have sufficient space and the filtration in this tank will easily handle it.

Once the tank and its inhabitants are settled and established, I may then try introducing a betta. If it doesn't get along (it's literally 50/50 depending on the individuals personality) then I'll just setup a nice 5g for it.

This fish selection is in no way set in stone and I'm interested in what you guys think.

Thanks!
Tom

I think that sounds pretty good. I'm not sure rummies would do well in a 10, they're pretty active.

I think that sounds pretty good. I'm not sure rummies would do well in a 10, they're pretty active.

You are completely right! Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe I'm being too ambitious on having 2 sets of schoolies in a 10g. Perhaps it would be best to just go for the CPDs and maybe get around 10.

You are completely right! Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe I'm being too ambitious on having 2 sets of schoolies in a 10g. Perhaps it would be best to just go for the CPDs and maybe get around 10.

In a tank that size I think a large group of CPDs would look great, plus they can be a bit shy when kept in smaller numbers.

NEW STOCKING LIST: Neon Blue Goby I a 10G?

I've done a lot more research and come up with the following list, I'm not going to have a betta in this tank and instead have turned my attention to a Neon Blue Goby. Does anyone have experience with these? I see Liveaquaria rate them for minimum 20 gallons. I've had several SW gobies in the past and all have been fairly inactive and due to the fact this fish only grows to 2" I was wondering if it would be fair to house it in this 10g. It will be heavily planted with no bottom dwellers (other than a few small shrimp and a shy pair of Badis) I think it may be ok. I'm also wondering how they do with shrimp? I assume they will eat shrimplets but have read that they primarily eat algae so shouldn't touch the larger shrimp.

X2 (male and female) Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumilus)
X2 (male and female) Scarlet Gem Badis (Dario Dario)
X7 (2 males, 5 females) Celestial pearl Danios (Celestichthys margaritatus)
X2 Golden Mystery Snails
X2 Blue Mystery Snails
X4 Otocinclus Catfish
X10 RCS shrimp
X1 Neon Blue Goby - http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+3011&pcatid=3011

What do you guys think?

I really like sparkling gouramis but they will eat adult shrimp.

No experience with the neon blue goby, that one is still on my fish wish list.

I had 5 badis in a 5g with shrimp. They would stalk and stare down the adult shrimp but I never saw them actually attack.

img_3309456_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

I had 5 badis in a 5g with shrimp. They would stalk and stare down the adult shrimp but I never saw them actually attack.

img_3309466_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

That's a great pic, thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll have to scratch the gourami a off the list.

img_3309493_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

Good Pic. This is what I have seen my rose badis do. They will stare the shrimp down and dart foward and scare the shrimp. They don't attack however. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448215993.342121.jpg

Excuse the bad pic this is a pic of them right after acclimation... The Scarlets are in a different family from the badis I believe but both are very cool.

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs
Cn

Hi all, finally here are some pics of the completed tank! I haven't been on the forum for a long time and honestly completely forgot about this thread!

Here are some pics, the rooms a bit dark and I only have the evening lights on (not the kessil) which are pretty dim...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465175050.428787.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465175077.646338.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465175093.867908.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465175193.772160.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465175206.408112.jpg

Back
Top Bottom