10g FW Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats on the new Fish! Ive been following this thread for some time and its coming along great!

Thanks, Tyler!

Here's a brief video of them after I turned the lights on. I took this about an hour ago, and they're even more active now. I just love these little guys!

They look great. A black background would make them stand out much better, and make the tank look bigger/better.

Thanks, Jonathan. I've been wanting a black background, but my LPS has been sold out of them in my size for some time. I wish I would have thought to paint it before I set everything up.

Thanks, Jonathan. I've been wanting a black background, but my LPS has been sold out of them in my size for some time. I wish I would have thought to paint it before I set everything up.

A buddy of mine put some black poster board from Office Max on the back of his tank and it looks really nice. I am having a sign company that I used to do work for cut me some pieces of vinyl to stick on the back of my two tanks. He said it would be a couple bucks for all of them (one for my 20g high and my 30g long). Just a couple of other options for you to look into! Fish look good from what I can see in the pictures (work blocks youtube :( ).

wow mel, they all look so great...i am going to get the CPDs too in my tank once it is done cycling....congrats new fish mama..;-)

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Meegosh - wonderful idea. I bought black poster board today to put behind the tank and it looks great!

My little guys are still doing great. I was originally going to get sparkling gouramis to go with them, but I love them so much, that I'm just going to get a few more CPDs and keep it a CPD/RCS tank.

They eat micro pellets, flakes, and freeze-dried food well. I was nervous after reading a handful accounts of them being picky eaters, but all is well. I ordered starter cultures of daphnia, vinegar eels, and microworms today to keep on hand as live treats for them. I feel bad about just feeding them flakes/pellets. I want them to have the best!

Thanks again, everyone, for the guidance and support. It's a pleasure to be a part of your community.

Melissa

good to know mel...about the food they liked..i am taking notes once I will get my baby fishes later on...;-)

Good to hear your CPDs are healthy eaters, I've had ones that were quite scared of their food. Glad to hear ur gettin your fish live food, i love watching my fish hunt.

Do you know what species of daphnia you are getting? Monia and Pulex, GD auto-correct, should be fine but Magna will be too big for your CPDs.

Happy Plants!

Do you know what species of daphnia you are getting? Monia and Pulex, GD auto-correct, should be fine but Magna will be too big for your CPDs.

Honestly, I don't know :/. It was an ebay auction and all it said was "mixed size". Hopefully they'll work. If not, I'll keep them alive for when I stock my 20 gal with some bigger fish.

In other news, my plants have been pearling like crazy since I added the DIY CO2... here are a few pretty pictures :)

Anubias Nana
34877-albums1376-picture10208.jpg

34877-albums1376-picture10209.jpg

Java Fern
34877-albums1376-picture10210.jpg

Anacharis
34877-albums1376-picture10213.jpg

After tapping the leaves with a toothbrush:
34877-albums1376-picture10214.jpg

Just a pretty picture that I got by happenstance:
34877-albums1376-picture10211.jpg

pH, and GH, and KH, oh my!

Hey all,

I just got my GH and KH test kit, and I'm trying to measure how much dissolved CO2 from my DIY system I have in here... Anyhow, we have some pretty nasty water around here - rather soft and alkaline, and when I tested my tank, these were my results.

GH - less than 1 degree
KH - off the chart high. It took 22 drops of the API solution to get it to yellow, and the chart only reads to 12 drops... so I guess that makes it 22 degrees?
pH - 7.5 (tap water is 8.2)

Anyhow... according to an online calculator, that gives me ~20ppm CO2, so I guess all is well.

SM sent the rest of my fishies off to me today. Yay :). I can't wait to introduce them to their new home.

Also, keep an eye out for a new update on my 20gal this week. It's going to be exciting :)

Back
Top Bottom