10G hood/bulb advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoobcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was planning to fire up my 10G and try my hand at growing plants. I cleaned my aquarium inside and out and bought some brighter bulbs for it. Upon plugging everything in I discovered my hood no longer works. So i was looking around for a replacement hood and came across this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-recess-incandescent-hood-black/dp/B0006G59T0/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_5

My old hood had the screw in type bulbs and I finally figured out what ones to get and now I have to find a different type of bulb. What bulb would you recommend putting into the above linked hood. Im wanting to grow Anubias, Dwarf hairgrass, wisteria, java moss, and java fern. Thanks a bunch! :D

You can get a simple hood that will accept incandescent bulbs that is made for a 10g. Then get some 6,500K Complact Flourescent bulbs, often labeled as "Daylight". Get the ones rated for 13W, most wal-marts, home depots, and lowes keep them in stock. These lights will be good for growing some beginner plants like anacharis, hornwort, anibus, java moss, etc.

Yeah those bulbs are the ones I bought. I just need to buy a new hood now. If the hood says it is incandescent does that mean its the screw in type bulbs?

Back
Top Bottom