10g media filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicuz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have filter floss and active carbon. Should I remove the carbon? Should I add anything else (eg ceramic rings)?

ps: I am in the cycling stage

Carbon is not really needed unless trying to remove things like meds, odors, etc. I'd replace it with some biomax (ceramic rings). Just do it slowly as any BB you might have could be on the carbon too .

I would remove the carbon it only works a few days before needing replacement , and put in a sponge , if you want chemical filtration , puregen or chem pure work great and will last almost forever on a small tank like that

Carbon is not really needed unless trying to remove things like meds, odors, etc. I'd replace it with some biomax (ceramic rings). Just do it slowly as any BB you might have could be on the carbon too .

What do you mean do it slowly? The carbon is in a small bag. I can't remove part of it.

You should be able to remove the carbon. However, it also won't hurt anything to leave it in.

You should have some bio-media in your Aquaclear filter. I haven't bought one in a while but they used to come with Bio-Max

What do you mean do it slowly? The carbon is in a small bag. I can't remove part of it.

I'd just sit the carbon on the biomax for a while so some of the BB can transfer. It's not really going to hurt anything leaving the carbon there, it's just that biomax is thought of to be better for BB to colonize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your tank is cycling you should just leave it alone for now.
Why do people think they need to mess around so much with a cycling tank?, all it does is delay the entire process.

I would remove the carbon it only works a few days before needing replacement , and put in a sponge , if you want chemical filtration , puregen or chem pure work great and will last almost forever on a small tank like that

No, quality activated carbon should last 6-8 weeks before needing to be changed in most tanks with average stocking levels.
also bear in mind that 90% of Chemi-Pures ingredients is activated carbon, so a little discrepancy in your advice.
Purigen is proving to be the best for these type of applications for many reasons.

If your tank is cycling you should just leave it alone for now.
Why do people think they need to mess around so much with a cycling tank?, all it does is delay the entire process.

Nothing is going to get delayed simply by adding biomax to the filter and leaving the carbon in there for now. Aquaclears have a decent amount of media space.

true, adding media can only help, but removing the carbon at this time would be counter productive, as are overly aggressive water changes during the cycling process.

Back
Top Bottom