10g planted with Apistogramma cacatuoides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kholton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so as the title would suggest, I have a little 10g tank that is finishing cycling, and at the moment I have two java ferns in there, and I plan to (in a few weeks) add a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides, and was wondering what sorts of plants would be good for the tank (and cover for the fish). Taking into consideration the size constraints of a 10g tank. Thank you very much!

~Kaden

What kind of light do you have over the tank (color temp, kind of bulb, wattage)? What kind of substrate? Are you dosing any fertilizers, or plan to dose any fertilizers?

Well as for the light... I can't really figure much out for you other than that it's pretty mediocre. Here is a pic... maybe you can figure something out about it. I realize that I can't expect any phenomenal plant growth with this thing, and I hope to find plants that CAN grow without anything better, but if I can't then I can probably upgrade.

ry%3D400

The substrate is just very coarse dark sand.

ry%3D400

I don't really know about using fertilizers, but I do have a few chems that I got from someone... I was hoping to get some opinions on them...
-Kent Freshwater Pro Plant
-Freshwater Plant
-Black Water Expert

Thank you!!!

~Kaden

Ok, you have a 15W T8. It might grow some lower light plants, like java moss, java fern, anacharis, crypts... maybe a few others. The substrate is fine... not nutrient rich but you don't need to worry about that with the plants I mentioned. Certainly you could really expand your options and have a lot more success if you wanted to spend some money on lighting, but you might have some luck... it won't be spectacular, and you aren't going to see a ton of growth.

1 more thing to look for: I can't see it in the pic... are there any numbers followed by a K anywhere on the bulb? This would be the color temperature. You want a bulb that is 6500K - 10000K for growing plants. That would make a difference.

Check out PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource . There is a great plant guide that allows you to list plants by lighting requirements. You could conceivably grow a few of the plants on the low light list. Do your homework and know what you are buying before you buy. Many stores sell plants that are marked as aquatic, but they are not... if you stick them in your tank they will rot and die, regardless of the lighting. There is a great list of common non-aquatic plants sold as aquatic on that same site I linked above. Familiarize yourself with it, and resist the temptation to buy those plants... it is one of the biggest mistakes folks make that are new to planted tanks.

Okay, thank you for the advice! And no, it doesn't list the color temp anywhere on the bulb. I am familiar with aquarium lights, AND have spent lots of money on them in the past. (I just don't want to purchase anything too expensive for this tank/I don't have the money) Although I suppose I may have to buy SOMETHING. My only concern is the hood, because I don't want to have to purchase a new hood for the tank as well... (at least not right now)

Well I hope to be able to get a decent stock of plants in there with the lighting I have for now. Until I get annoyed enough to buy better lights I suppose...

As a side note... I have been unfortunate enough to buy some of those "Aquatic Plants" from PESTMART. Ahemm.. I mean PETSMART, and yes, they rot quickly, and they die. (It's worth noting that this was in a much better lit aquarium, and no, I had no idea before hand that they weren't actually aquatic plants)

Thanks for the input,

~Kaden

Any time!! Good luck, and post some pics of the tank when you get some plants in there.

Back
Top Bottom