10G shrimp HELP PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently got a 10G tank for shrimp.I added about 30 ghost shrimp and every single one of them dies after about 5 days. My lfs said the bacteria in the tank was good because I let 2 shrimp rot in there to start the bacteria growth. Whatdid I do wrong? I also plan on keeping a beta with the future shrimp. Please help!

Do you have a liquid test kit? I'm curious to see what your water parameters are. I've never had luck with ghost shrimp, which is why I quit buying them. They are bred as feeders and don't seem to last very long.

meegosh said:
Do you have a liquid test kit? I'm curious to see what your water parameters are. I've never had luck with ghost shrimp, which is why I quit buying them. They are bred as feeders and don't seem to last very long.

No I don't sorry I just know it's not that bad I'm pretty sure just kinda high nitrates thatsall and good bacteria:) so was my problem the ghost shrimp? Would I be ok with RCS or other kinds? Like bee? Thanks for responding!!!!

I would suggest you invest in a test kit before you spend more money on shrimp especially bee shrimp. The API master test kit is like $20 and will save you a lot of headaches and the people on the forums will be better suited to help you out if you actually know what your parameters are.

Good luck with the tank brother.

How old is the tank? I've found that shrimp like a very mature, stable tank. I agree with not spending any more money on shrimp until it's more stable. And if you're going to house them with a betta, don't even bother. He'll eat them.

Ok first off, you need to get your water params. With fish you can get away with a wide range of params usually but shrimp no! Thy have to have a high enough ph and calcium content or there exoskeleton will dissolve or they will not be able to recover from a molt. Also I assume you dont have any fish so you probably ok there but if the tank is new and you are sure the bacteria is there then add shrimp slower. Like maybe 6 at a time. Then feed them algae wafers, shrimp pelets, or even blanched veggies.

Hope this helps. I had AWFUL experience with my fish at first. Get the params checked and ask them to check kh and gh. Make sure it is high enough for the shrimp. I am not sure what is high enough as its kind of confusing to me but my lfs said I was low and that the one that adds calcium was virtually nonexistant. I added aragonate to the filter and voila problem solved! God bless and happhy fish...er...shrimp keeping!!!

Ok first off, you need to get your water params. With fish you can get away with a wide range of params usually but shrimp no! Thy have to have a high enough ph and calcium content or there exoskeleton will dissolve or they will not be able to recover from a molt. Also I assume you dont have any fish so you probably ok there but if the tank is new and you are sure the bacteria is there then add shrimp slower. Like maybe 6 at a time. Then feed them algae wafers, shrimp pelets, or even blanched veggies.

Hope this helps. I had AWFUL experience with my fish at first. Get the params checked and ask them to check kh and gh. Make sure it is high enough for the shrimp. I am not sure what is high enough as its kind of confusing to me but my lfs said I was low and that the one that adds calcium was virtually nonexistant. I added aragonate to the filter and voila problem solved! God bless and happhy fish...er...shrimp keeping!!!
Not all shrimp want a high ph. It varies depending on what type of shrimp you're looking to keep. If it were me, I would find out what my water is out of the tap and then find a shrimp who would be happy with those parameters instead of constantly playing the chemistry game and yoyoing the water.
Planet Inverts Home .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Crayfish and more. it's a great site to learn about shrimp, their care, parameter needs and breeding

Recently got a 10G tank for shrimp.I added about 30 ghost shrimp and every single one of them dies after about 5 days. My lfs said the bacteria in the tank was good because I let 2 shrimp rot in there to start the bacteria growth. Whatdid I do wrong? I also plan on keeping a beta with the future shrimp. Please help!

Your tank is not cycled. Please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

I think you were given really poor advice from your lfs about just let shrimp rot and you'll be good to go. There's more to it than that.

I have ghost shrimp and haven't lost a single one. I don't think of them as fragile, even though they are meant to be feeders.

I do agree with the above poster that you cannot keep any shrimp really with a betta.

A 10 gallon would make a great shrimp only tank, if you are interested.

Also agree with above posters that you need a decent test kit. Get the API master kit.

+1

I've found ghost shrimp to be very hardy as long as the tank is cycled. Mine are regularly berried. I suppose it depends on whether you get your ghosties from as feeders or not, with regards to how they were handled before being sold.

Make sure you cycle first and try to pick healthy ones. Also, don't add 30 at once.

--Adeeb

Not all shrimp want a high ph. It varies depending on what type of shrimp you're looking to keep. If it were me, I would find out what my water is out of the tap and then find a shrimp who would be happy with those parameters instead of constantly playing the chemistry game and yoyoing the water.
Planet Inverts Home .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Crayfish and more. it's a great site to learn about shrimp, their care, parameter needs and breeding
My bad. I was under the impression that low ph killed them. I had to raise mine for RCS but I used aragonite.

Back
Top Bottom