10g sparkling gourami log from a nervous fishkeeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my first time keeping a "sensitive" fish, particularly one that does NOT prefer my water. This is a log for my logging benefit and for other aquarists with very hard alkaline water interested in keeping tropical fish! ;)

The tank:
A 10g tank set up and cycled using filter media from my other tanks, will be a species-only tank for sparkling gouramis, Trichopsis pumila.

Very low light, heavily planted with water wisteria and java moss. Some driftwood that has yet to sink, tied to stones to weigh it down. I'm impatient with my new wood! ;)

Eco-complete substrate mixed with black gravel (I don't recommend this look!). Dead hardwood leaves scattered on the bottom.

HOB Whisper 10 filter, crammed with filter media to slow the flow of water. Nylon stocking over the filter intake. I do that with all of my filters.

Temp: 80-82 degrees. May fall to 78 degrees if it gets really cold in the house when someone accidentally turns off the central heat.

Parameters: ph 7.6 out of the tap, 8.4-8.6 after 24 hours in the tank!
Very hard water, calcium deposits on all water fixtures and on the insides of my tanks. not sure what the actual hardness is.

Other tanks: An empty 5g and numerous plastic containers for fish that need to be QTd or moved. Other fish in other tanks include blue platy fry and Endler fry, red cherry shrimp (thanks jetajockey!), pearl gourami, harlequin rasboras, peppered cories, albino cories, skunk cories, 6 mystery snails that I'm trying to breed.

My background: Keepings tanks on a college student budget in my tiny apartment.

The fish and my project:

Sparkling gouramis like warm, soft acidic water. Well, my water is crazy hard and alkaline! This will be my first attempt at keeping a "sensitive" and "short-lived" fish. After scouring forums for months, it seems that most aquarists say to try a fish regardless of your water parameters if you can't do anything about it.

I don't trust any methods of lowering the pH. I am not willing to use RO either.

I'm a little nervous trying this out because I do not like fish dying. I have yet to lose any of my current fish. I feel a little guilty purchasing these gouramis, but I feel this is important for me to try just for my own knowledge of what fish I can be confident keeping and for other aquarists who limit themselves in purchasing fish because of their water parameters.

I've learned most of what I know about fish-keeping from this forum, so I hope I can utilize your help in getting this tank started and keeping sparkling gouramis happy.

The fish will be picked up tomorrow evening.
I asked the cruddy LFS to grab me T. pumila last week. I got a call yesterday, and they thought they had acquired T. vitatta instead. They called me again today, and told me they think they are actually T. pumila. They have 6 on hold for me, which I will pick up tomorrow. If they are in fact T. vitatta, I will take them anyway and spread them among several tanks.

They will be transported in my backpack full of crumpled newspaper and 2 heating packs.
They will take a bus ride home.
Once we get home, they will drip acclimate for 1-2 hours while I get some homework done. They will go straight into their 10g with the lights off. No other fish will share their 10g, it is a species-only tank.

I am getting 6 gouramis to increase the chances of getting males and females, and to give me a little insurance in case some don't do well.

Stay tuned for pictures tomorrow night.

Thank you

Thanks for sharing this with everyone! It will be great to see how they do in your water. :)

toddnbecka said:
Why drip acclimate fish from your lfs? They'll likely have similar water to yours.

They keep their water around 7.4, and I'm also just really anxious haha! I drip acclimate everything i get regardless of the source. I figure it doesn't hurt?

I agree. Especially if they've just ordered the fish for you. They've just been transported, possibly across the country, and should be handled delicately IMO.

Fish arrived

Got the fish!

It didn't start very well. One gourami was dead in the pet store tank, which brought them down to 5. The one DIED IN THE BAG on the way back home! That's a first for me, and that's the worst start I've ever had. So that brings the group down to 4!

The others do not look blatantly sick, and are curious and active.

After acclimation, I fell in love with these little fish. They are SO PRETTY.

And much like bettas, they actually look at you when they look at you. They seem very inquisitive and curious, and I love that.

But they are tiny!!! I'm quite sure these are actual Sparkling Gouramis. I mean, look at how small they are!

Not much bigger than say, a neon tetra! Teeny tiny.

Pictures of them in the tank will come tomorrow.

Yknow, their tank really is not as heavily planted as I had planned. I don't have enough plants to even consider it mediumly-planted!!!! I didn't realize how few plants I had.
Darn.
I'll have to go to Petsmart and buy more I guess. Some anubias would be a good addition. I don't recall my Petsmart having them though.... :(

Got the fish!

It didn't start very well. One gourami was dead in the pet store tank, which brought them down to 5. The one DIED IN THE BAG on the way back home! That's a first for me, and that's the worst start I've ever had. So that brings the group down to 4!

The others do not look blatantly sick, and are curious and active.

After acclimation, I fell in love with these little fish. They are SO PRETTY.

And much like bettas, they actually look at you when they look at you. They seem very inquisitive and curious, and I love that.

But they are tiny!!! I'm quite sure these are actual Sparkling Gouramis. I mean, look at how small they are!

Not much bigger than say, a neon tetra! Teeny tiny.

Pictures of them in the tank will come tomorrow.

Yknow, their tank really is not as heavily planted as I had planned. I don't have enough plants to even consider it mediumly-planted!!!! I didn't realize how few plants I had.
Darn.
I'll have to go to Petsmart and buy more I guess. Some anubias would be a good addition. I don't recall my Petsmart having them though.... :(

I used the dead gourami to take the size comparison... just so you all know.

Update

2 of the fish have either paired up or are good buddies. One is larger, has bolder dark stripes, and has a nice red flush on the edges of the caudal fin. The bolder one is boss and the paler, smaller fish is like a sidekick, always following it around. That's why I think it may be a pair forming up. No obvious courtship though.

Lost one sparkler today! :(
As I watched the pair of gouramis swimming out in the open, they approached another fish and looked at it very closely. I then noticed the fish under scrutiny had an S-shaped body and it was rotating in circles. It was very sad to look at. It promptly died. I noticed this fish was very quiet in the tank since it arrived.

The other fish is nowhere to be seen this morning. I'll have to keep an eye out to make sure that one didn't die too!

So far, not so good. This is my worst experience keeping fish thus far. What a shame, these fish are a joy! I'm contemplating having the pet store order more of them, or if I should see how these 3 do and if they die I should give up??

At lease the prospective pair is active. I'm surprised to see them swimming out in the open so much.

Current plant list:
Hornwort- planted
Najas grass- planted
Java moss
Subwassterang
baby java ferns
wistera
frogbit covering the entire surface (thanks afishpond!)

The sparklers cruise between and under and around roots, leaves and moss. It's really cute! They swim with a purpose.

I offered flakes yesterday, just to see what would happen.
I put some flakes in the tank and had them sink towards where they were hiding. The prospective pair came out into the open to investigate the flakes.
One gourami tasted 2 flakes, spit them out, tasted them again, spit them out... I guess he didn't like them? I read that they take flake food readily, so I'm a little surprised he didn't eat it. I'll try again tonight.

I also noticed a gourami closely investigating a ramshorn.... getting into a staring contest with the ramshorn... and then biting the ramshorn. I hope the snails don't get too harassed, but I have PLENTY so I'm not worried ;)

So far no observed aggression.

Pictures! And status of the 3rd gourami

We have pictures today!

And I found the third gourami! I found her FLASHING against the tank walls and frogbit roots. Oohhh boy.... :(
No signs of ich at the moment. Could be parasites? She/he has clamped fins and spends most of her time chilling under plants, resting on the substrate.
I don't think that looks very good.
I raised the temp from 80 to 82.

Considering 2 of the 6 fish died before they got to my house, I'm starting to think these fish either arrived in ill health or they acclimated badly to the petstore. One already kicked the bucket here, and another one is not looking too good.

This is sad :(
This experience is reinforcing my avoidance of keeping "sensitive" fish. Rummynose tetras and German Blue Rams will be crossed off my dream fish list for a while.

Well anyways, I have plenty of pictures of the active "pair"! :)

I'm not sure if you can tell, but one of them is paler than the other, and smaller.
Sorry for the quality of the pictures. But it's the best I could do! At least you can clearly see how sparkly their eyes and bodies are :)

Thanks for writing this. I find it interesting because I have similar water to yours. But it sounds like they were unhealthy from the start. Hope your last two survive. Good luck!

Ah man, I'm sorry you've had some losses. The "pair" looks gorgeous and healthy though! The smaller one does look a little skinny though.

The flashing could be a sign of illness like parasites, but I'm wondering if it could also be in reaction to the high pH. I've seen fish flash before when in too low of pH. It's hard to say for sure if you should medicate or not at this point...

I'm sure the pair is a M and F..the paler being the F. Atleast if you end with only two, it's two that will get along. :love:

Flake shouldn't be a problem. Even though it was spitting some out, it was probably still eating some. I see that behavior with different fish sometimes. They appreciate frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp as well though, which would also help plump up the skinny one.

Haha I'm not surprised about the snail. I had a feeling they were into inverts. Naughty little sparklers!

Flashing may be due to the water chemistry, particularly if it's harder/more alkaline than the fish are accustomed to. My petricola's do the same thing whenever I do a partial water change, but after a minute or two they settle down.
Some species are more sensitive than others, Ram's and neons are also notorious for that.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know fish flashed in reaction to ph. That's really good to know.
The flashing gourami is still relaxing under a clump of subwassertang. Actually it looks pretty cozy in there... ;)

Siva, I agree the paler of the pair is skinny. Unfortunately the only live food I have is microworm, but i do have freeze-dried bloodworms I could try.
Can live food be bought from an LFS? Is there a risk of parasites that way?

I just offered them microworms, just to see what they think.
They didn't eat any as I watched, but they did come out to see what's going on.

It would be interesting to see if the pair breeds and how the eggs do in my water! I just hope they LIVE!!!

Soak those FD worms until they are reconstituted. Freeze dried isn't great for most fish, but OK if soaked first. Hmm I wonder if they'll eat those microworms. Let me know if they do. I've never offered mine any.

I would culture your own live foods at home. Store bought seems too risky for me.

I am glad that at least the "pair" is doing well. I hope your last 3 continue to live! I agree that it sounds like a very difficult undertaking due to their health when you got them. But, it sounds like you are giving them a good home and lots of care, so I hope it goes well!

siva said:
Soak those FD worms until they are reconstituted. Freeze dried isn't great for most fish, but OK if soaked first. Hmm I wonder if they'll eat those microworms. Let me know if they do. I've never offered mine any.

I would culture your own live foods at home. Store bought seems too risky for me.

Ewww make my own bloodworms at home?! ;)
Can you culture tubifex at home without too much mess? I wanted to try daphnia but it seems like too much effort for my sunless little apartment.

They are interested in the microworms but are not eating them. The pair is wandering around the side of the tank where i placed worms. I'll keep trying, they seem like a nice size for them to have a treat and I have a ton of them to offer (courtesy of jetajockey!). I'll try again later.

The flashing gourami is still where I left it last night, motionless under a clump of subwassertang. I expected it to be more active by now.

The active pair still won't eat flakes nor microworms. I'll have to try some other foods and see if they entice their appetite....

lol no go with frozen bloodworms! Yeah microworms are easy..if you have anything that wants to eat them anyway.

Dang! I wish you could have got them without them ever hitting the stores water. No way to tell if it would have made a difference, but still, it would have been ideal.

Good news and bad news

Microworms are for my fry.
Oh right, frozen food ;) I forgot all about those. I wonder if my LFS carries some. I've never seen a fridge there. Maybe it's behind the scenes.

Anyways, the good news:
The gourami that has was flashing and sitting under subwasstertang for hours MOVED today. It looks pale, no coloring in the fins, and the caudal fin is a ragged.

The bad news:
The bold, larger gourami was flashing today too. But I see what the problem is.
There is a light-colored path of skin behind his head, and it is raised. Perhaps a cyst? He was flashing that pimple-thing on plant leaves. He was not flashing any other parts of his body.

I don't know what that is or what to do about it!

The smaller prospective female gourami looks and acts fine.

And I got a refund for the 2 dead gouramis today. Yay store credit.

Siva, yes I always hope to get fish while they are still in the bag once they arrive at the LFS. Unfortunately the LFS received my fish on Wednesday afternoon without my knowing, and due to my class schedule I can't get to the LFS until Friday. So, they put the fish in their tanks! I wonder if the gouramis would have been better off staying in the shipment bag for another 1.5 days?

I tried feeding FD bloodworms today and they were not interested!
So much for sparkling gouramis being easy eaters...

I wonder where these fish came from? Wildcaught or farm-raised? If they were tank raised I would expect them to recognize the food I'm using....?

Back
Top Bottom