10g Tank - Grass Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Toothless the BGK loves to snack on grass shrimp. I have a ten gallon setup sitting around doing nothing. Instead of buying the shrimp every couple of weeks (at a buck a dozen) I thought, why not put that 10g to use and stock it up to breed them myself as half the ones I bring home are always carrying eggs. Not sure the 10g would be big enough though. Also not sure if it would be cost effective considering power usage and tank maintenance as opposed to a buck or two every couple of weeks.
So, my questions are:
Is it doable in a 10g or is the tank not large enough for a sustainable colony?
If it is doable, then what water conditions would I need to maximize their health and breeding? (pH, GH, KH, temp)
If not doable in a 10g, what would be the minimum tank size to make it worthwhile?

Edit: Ah crud, I put this in the wrong forum. Would a mod please move it to Inverts. Thanks.

It very well could be worth it.

To breed glass* shrimp, like I assume you were trying to type, you'll need a sponge filter, a lot of mosses, plants and brackish water at the lower end of the salinity.

You'll need to feed the adults very well, they will eat their young.

Back
Top Bottom