10gal Crabitat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good thing my RCCs are shy. I think my RCCs claws ate too small to hurt the fiddler, and the fiddlers claws are too weak. And since I'm gonna upgrade, they'll be fine. I want the best for my crabs :) I wasn't equating my tank with a beach, I was just saying 6 crabs should be fine, since they live in larger groups in the wild. Little misunderstanding there :/ Lol, must be fun for you in Florida. Wild fiddlers... Maybe you could maile some Uca pugnax sometime ;)

Once my tank settles down, I'm gonna write up a report on crab care, or maybe a website. It's surprising how little good info their is on fiddlers.

Ya, sorry about that, a definate miss understanding. There is next to no info on any crab out there. I would love in the future to start a website based on crab care. I have kept several species of crabs and the nex tadcenture is holoween crabs. I have the begining plans in the amphibian area.

HalloweenLandCrab001.jpg

Upgrade soon because i see trouble arising.

We could start a site together :) I'm a web designer, so I can handle the site. We can both research crab info :p And maybe we should have a crab forum too. What do you think?

--Adeeb

If all goes well, I'm gonna be picking up a 55gal tank for $30 of craigslist :D That should make my crabbies happy. Since it's such a big tank, I think I'm gonna split it in half with plexiglass and have hermit crabs on one side.

Here are some pics of the new fiddlers I picked up last week. They're pretty shy of the camera right now. They are settling in though, and I *think* they're eating.

img_1151891_0_3f215e2a77a3594d5acd51443c6bec96.jpg

img_1151891_1_68b5affdfa8c4b5b581a9c5c2ee49735.jpg

img_1151891_2_89dfc6a2bcf7c70ae143e457dc092e0b.jpg

img_1151891_3_dbf4949355f14d0e4f21bd57197663c1.jpg

img_1151891_4_3f489d4036048683fc12944a0090c8d8.jpg

The first pic is a female and the rest are the same male. The second female has proved elusive so far...

--Adeeb

My Uca minax has not been interested in burrowing (or hiding). Maybe he's an oddball, because he is not afraid of anything lol. He even waves at me, and I've held him a few times. He doesn't mind. The three new fiddlers I got seem to have burrowing tendencies, unfortunately when I made the tank I didn't know about burrowing. So there's gravel beneath the sand and they can't dig in it. Gonna remedy that in the new tank.

--Adeeb

Your Crabitat is so cool

Salinity is up to 1.007, I think I'll stop at that. Or *maybe* up to 1.010, seems some sites say that is ideal for fiddlers. My molted RCC has finished eating her exo and is doing well! All the crabbies are eating regularly now (or atleast I hope so). I'm feeding them about 3/4 of an algae wafer broken in bits every night. I put it in a dish and its gone by morning, so atleast one of them is eating. So far, they've refused to eat fish flakes and bloodworms. Anyone know what else they like so they can have a varied diet? And what fresh fruits/veggies are safe?

EDIT: Looks like my male RCC just molted as well!!!

--Adeeb

I give My RCC Rusty sinking shrimp pellets and hermit crab cakes. Alot of websites recommend to give the hermit crab cakes and she loves it to :smitten:! Hope this helps.:lol:
- Stepher's-

Back
Top Bottom