110 gal African Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got the 110 dragged in off the front porch where it has been for about 6 months (much to my wifes delight!). Set it where I wanted it, crawled under the house to make sure there was enough wood under there to hold it, and filled it up. No leaks so far. Still have to get substrate and rocks. Considering a crushed coral substrate...any suggestions? Would a finer substrate be better? Will get pics of this one as it goes together!
Logan J

Af tank

Probably Malawis...haven't really decided on stock yet. Lost my nerve with the floor :oops: . Went back under and doubled all the joists. Then cross braced them with 4x4's and screw jacks.
Logan J

you are so lucky. all you guys with big tanks. i have a 30 gallon, but . . . i feel like i need a 200. LOL. I wish i had room to keep a bigger tank. Lucky Lucky Lucky. I need a big strong house. As it is, I have my 30 on my desk on a sheet of plexi-glass with 2x4s supporting it so my desk doesnt collapse.

nejsux,

You make due with what ya got right ;)

A 30 gal can be just as great as a 110. And think of it this way. It sure as heck is cheaper than a 110 or a 200 as you desire.

deal

nejsux,
I confess...I got a deal in the 110 or it would never be sitting here. Watch your local "trader" books for deals if you're interested in a larger tank. That's where I found this one...in the N Ga Classifieds I think. You'd be surprised how cheap people will sell equip when they burn out or are faced with moving a large system a long way. And, freek's right, small tanks are GREAT too. My SW is only 10 gal and I LOVE it...sit and just watch the darn thing for hours sometimes.
Logan J

Just wanted to say, I AM SO JEALOUS! I would love to have a 110 gallon cichlid tank! I love cichlids! I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank and it's my pride and joy. Wish I could have a tank as big as this whole house filled with malawi cichlids. Unfortunately, I cannot even go with a tank much bigger than 55 gallons :( We are a military family and we move every 3 years, and live in housing that doesn't belong to us, so stability would worry me. We are in an apt right now on the second floor, and setting up my 55 I feared for my neighbors lives 8O . It turned out fine, I was probably just overly worried for nothing. Anyway, good luck with the tank, it sounds fabulous. The crushed coral as a substrate sounds like your best bet. I have been looking to put a layer on top of my gravel as well.
Best of luck,
~Melissa~

started on it...finally

The 110 is starting to come together. Worked on it for a little while this evening. Getting over the surgery so I still can't lift much, but hoping to be back 100% in a couple or three more weeks. Got the sump cleaned up and in the stand. Cleaned up the overflows and hung them on the back. Dragged the canopy in and put it up on top. Will start on plumbing soon. Pump is a 500gph Hydrothruster. Has anyone had experience with one of these? I wonder if they are good pumps is all. Also have parts of a DIY calcium reactor. Was thinking about using the pump and media container for carbon. It has a Mag 500 (I think) and the media container looks about a half gallon capacity. Maybe plumb it into the sump and run it a couple of hours 2 or 3 times a day? That's a lot of carbon so it should last quite a while before it needs replacement. Suggestions? Here's a couple of pics...no water in yet though.
Logan J

WOW, that is so high speed! I know nothing about all that high tech fishy stuff. Must have taken you years to learn all that. This sump idea sounds pretty cool. I am not good at making stuff, especially plumbing and things of that nature. I have no knack for anything domestic either; I can't craft, cross-stitch, or sew real well. If I had to sew a button I could muddle my way through :oops: I can cook however. I'm sure all you men were feeling bad for my husband until this point huh.

Anyways, I loved the pics of the tank and it's peices. Can't wait to see it with water and happy fishes swimming about. Thanks for sharing! :D

Hey Loganj,

I must agree and say that crushed coral is a good substrate, I have just finished setting up my 130G cichlid tank and I also used crushed coral, and what a difference it mkaes compared to the old gravel I have in my current cichlid tank. I am sure that when I move my fish from the 45G to the 130 they will be much happier, not becuase of all the space, but becase of the fine gravel that have.

But I love cichlids. :lol:

gravel

Something I am wondering about is whether the crushed coral will help keep alkalinity up? I know an aragonite substrate will. Anybody got an idea on that? I maintain a 150g Af Cich tank at a medical center and it has about 3" of aragonite. The pH and alk are rock steady on that tank.
Logan J

As far as I remember, and I am open to correction, but I thought that the crushed coral would increase the pH a little but not by much and then yes it should maintain it? I would have to look into it further. :oops:

Been a long time since I kept african ciclids but I used Dolomite, kept the water hard and ph in the high 8's.

Real nice lookin tank too.

Ran some temporary plumbing today and fired the sump up in the 110. That Hydrothruster pump rocks! It's rated @ 500 gph @ 0 head. I'm pumping nearly 6' high through a 1/2" vinyl tube and the overflow with a 1" ID siphon won't keep up. I added another siphon that was 3/4" ID and it still won't handle the flow. Guess it's a good thing the tank came with 2 overflows :oops: . I'm going to try to plumb in the other overflow tomorrow and get it all working. Will post some pics of the plumbing as soon as I can get it done.
Also, I want to go with a dark substrate. I wonder if there is anything that will help maintain alk & pH that is dark? Doesn't matter what color as long as it's a dark color. Any ideas?
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom