110 gal. lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know the question was lighting but that is a lot of LR. It is personal prefrence but the general rule is 1.5 lbs tp 2 lbs per gallon for sufficient biological filtration.

Keep in mind if you ever want corals eventually that many will come with small rocks, need growing room, and the fish need room. In a tank that size if it is FOWLR and you want good size fish, I would go with about 160-180 lbs of LR IMO. As log as you have the min. you can do what fits your style.

roka64 said:
If you have the slightest inkling you may want corals in the future, you would have to go with higher wattages.

This is true. If you dont get it now and you want corals later you`ll have to buy another lighting setup

T o try to answer the questions above,my tank is 72x19x19.I went to fosterssmith and bought the nova extreme T-5 fixtures with lunar lights,48in 216 watts.When I checked with my local saltwater shop they said that would be plenty.Next will be the refugium and protein skimmer,then sand then live rock not to forget salt

I have that same light on my 55G. I really like it. It seems that might be a little too short for 72inch long tank.

mountaindew said:
It is short for that tank but we are centering it so we only have to use a 48in instead of 72
Ok, that gives you roughly 1.96 WPG, if my math is correct. This might be a little interesting. I believe that will be ok for a FOWLR, but might not show off your tank, in all it's beauty.

I think that is a personal preference. I have a FOWLR, and run them both at the same time, for 8 hours (2PM-10PM, so I can see the tank when I get home). Some folks like to run the blues for about 30 mins before and after lights out, kind of like sunset/sunrise.

Back
Top Bottom