110 gal set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebadgsx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just purchased 110 gal. tall. i'm upgrading from my 55 gal. i have a shelve in my wall by my front door that could perfectly accommodate this tank it is 49 wide 19.5 deep which is the perfect size to fit my tank. what kind of support would you guys recommend putting under the shelve for legs and would i need to upsize the thickness of the shelve, it is 3/4" thich now.

has anyone had any luck finding agronite sand in texas.

thanks in advance
jason

I wouldn't put this on a 3/4" shelf. This tank, assuming you'll have sand and LR in it, will weigh around 1200 lbs if not more. Also, since this is only a 4' tank, you might want to check the floor joist orientation under the tank. If the joists are perpendicular to the tank, you'll probably be OK there. If they are parallel to the tank, the entire weight of the tank will be resting on no more than two joists and the floor will probably need extra bracing...assuming you have joists. If you're on concrete, you're in good shape there. Since I'm not a structural engineer, I hesitate to advise you on how to brace the shelf. I'd remove the shelf and put in an aquarium stand that is designed to handle the tank. My 110 caused the joists to sag a bit and I had to go under the house, double the joists, and add floor jacks...my house has 2x10 joists.

im in houston texas, as there is no floor joist on the first floor. i'm assumming you are talking about a house with a basement, which i dont have. anyway i popped a hole in the wall behind the shelve and it looks good. 3/4" one top of 1 x 6's, then its is box with 2 x 4's and has 4 2 x 4 legs on the front and 5 2 x 4 legs in the back. all sitting on cement. do you think this is sturdy enough. i think it should be.

i need sand bad, anybody in texas found any good sand other than the LFS

I am in houston and will be ordering some LS and LR from liverocks.com to arrive in Mid-January if you would like to join the order... Close to 400lbs of LR and near 200lbs of reef sand currently..

That should probably hold it. No guarantees of course. You might want to put in a few cross braces under the shelf to make sure it doesn't bow under the weight.

Stand on it in the middle and jump. If it takes your jumping weight in the middle (assuming you are 160lbs +) it should hold fine. I would still reinforce it in any way possible. On small spill and the wood will be weakened.

Ill need to check my notes on the order when I get back to the offfice next week but as I recall it somewhere near 1.40/lb shipped for sand.

Back
Top Bottom