115 Gallon Indoor "Pond" Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icydeath

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm building an extremely small (as ponds go) indoor pond that is about 115 gallons. The water level is 21 inches from the top of the bottom board if that makes sense. Both sides are 36 inches long so it holds about 115 gallons.

I've done a lot of research (one of my hobbies is researching things so that is helpful in this hobby) but I've read a lot of different rules when stocking coldwater tanks. Goldfish especially.

Originally I wanted to get 3 single tailed goldfish of the same type (Shubunkin for example) and I've read a lot of mixed stocking suggestions. They range from blatantly cruel 1-10 gallons per fish to 75 gallons per fish. I've seen a lot of the 20 for the first and 10 for every other but that is mostly for fancies.

So my first plan:
3 Shubunkins
or
3 Comets
or
3 Commons

Second plan:
1 Fantail
1 Ryukin
1 Oranda

With my research habits, I know the fancies will be okay but the single tails are questionable.. I am leaning towards the fancies atm because more space for smaller fish is always better.

Would the single tails be okay? And how would you guys stock this tank (bare bottom atm)? I am open minded and I would enjoy any suggestions given.

Thank you, Raymond

Also, I've heard that they like sunlight and it helps with their color development. Because of this I'm wondering if I should place the tank near a window? I know this will cause algae growth, but I am also building an algae scrubber and growing both duckweed and hornwort so i think it will be okay. In short, will this mess up my temperature or have negative effects?

Welcome to AA!!!

I am afraid you lost me a bit here on your tank stats (or perhaps I am just a bit tired). It's around 20in deep but 36in in length? How wide is it? Filtration?

Could you keep juvenile comets (or another single tail breed) in this? Yes, but I would suggest having a game plan for them in the near future. And a cover/lid of some sort as they are jumpers. 36in in length does not offer a large amount of swimming room for them and they are very active fish. Lots of water changes no matter what type of goldfish you are considering!

I would not be very concerned with algae growth (green) as its a natural food source for goldfish. Plants will need a light source in order to grow, too. Just something else to think about!

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions!! :)

Okay I will go for fancies if that is the case. Sorry I was a little tired when I wrote it. It is 3 feet long, 3 feet deep, 25.75 inches tall (wall height). But the water level is 22 inches. I plan on running a diy 200 gph sump (3 ft window sill planter box from uarujoey's channel) with two two liter bottles on the out takes filled with biomax and the intake of the power head has a half a two liter bottle over it that has sponge stuffed in, a diy sponge filter, and two emperor 400's. I will probably set it up by the window since the algae is beneficial.

Thank you for replying! :)

Just wanted to show the end result and ask another question!

RYKER - WIN_20140808_162221.jpg

RYKER - WIN_20140811_201612.jpg

RYKER - WIN_20140811_201639.jpg

RYKER - WIN_20140811_202616.jpg

In pictures 2-4 The side is bowing out a bit... is this okay. Should I be worried?

I think you could keep 6 fancy fantails. I have fancies and comets and shubunkins. I like my fancies the most! The black moor and calico fantails are my favorite, a shubunkin needs 300 gallons and get too large for your tank.

Yeah I'll get fancies. :) My taste has changed anyways lol

Should I be worried about the bowing though?

Yeah I'll get fancies. :) My taste has changed anyways lol

Should I be worried about the bowing though?

What are the sides made from? What type of structural support do you have? I can see some type of liner overlay but can not tell what was used for construction.

It is lined with a pvc pond liner, and has half inch osb, metal brackets, and wood bracing.

On another forum it was suggested that I disassemble and redo it with plywood which I will probably do, only because my brother spilled some water on the side that is bowing, and it has swollen a little.

So my plan is to use my rubber maid tub. I think it is 20 gallons and cycle the filters and stuff in that using the same water. That way I can cycle as I finish rebuilding it.

Also can I reuse the brackets, bracings, and liner?

This a good idea?

It is lined with a pvc pond liner, and has half inch osb, metal brackets, and wood bracing.

On another forum it was suggested that I disassemble and redo it with plywood which I will probably do, only because my brother spilled some water on the side that is bowing, and it has swollen a little.

So my plan is to use my rubber maid tub. I think it is 20 gallons and cycle the filters and stuff in that using the same water. That way I can cycle as I finish rebuilding it.

Also can I reuse the brackets, bracings, and liner?

This a good idea?

Isn't osb basically the same thing as plywood (manufactured particle-type board)?

Plywood will bow and swell if it gets wet as well (something unavoidable with fish....lol). You may want to consider options that will not be as subject to water damage and will offer much better overall structural support for almost half a ton of water. No matter what type of bracing is used, plywood simply is not meant to support this by itself.

Design would make a difference as well here- the pressure from almost 1000g of water in a short, tall/deep space will be more significant than the same amount of water in a shallow, wide/long area.

The liner can easily be used again! Whether the bracings, etc are reusable will depend on where you venture from here. Beginning the cycling process on a spare tank or tub is a great way to jump start this project! Hope this helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom