12 Gallon, 40 Watt..Low or Med Light? - Flourish Excel ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I just upgraded my 12 Gal Eclipse from a 13 watt CF to a 40 Watt Dual Daylight 6700k/10000k CF bulb. I also just switched substrates from large gravel to Eco-Complete.

First question, I can't get a consistent answer here, is a 40 watt CF on a 12 gallon considered Low or Medium light?

Next, I'm planning on using Seachem's Flourish products, including Flourish Excel since I'm not using a CO2 system. I've heard that some plants don't get along with Flourish/Flourish Excel. Does anyone know which are the bad plants?

I'm planning on having Water Sprite, Wysteria, Anubias Barteri, and more, but I haven't decided on other kinds yet.

Thanks!
David

The guy I bought mine from has all your types and he uses Flourish Potassium and Iron. I can't answer your question with any authority but thought I'd at least pass that along.
He just started using a DIY CO2 setup a couple of months ago but told me his plants did just fine without the CO2.
Going by the wpg rule and factoring the cf's I'd say your at a medium light...that too is more guess than authoritative.
Purrbox would be a good person to ask around here. They've been a great help to me.

You've got 3.3wpg. I'm pretty sure that's medium. I don't know much about the anti-excel plants but I think Vals are one type. Anacharis might be another.

Lizard is correct vals and anacharis do not react well to Excel.

I would think you will have medium lighting.

I have to concur with most everyone else that your tank is probably going to be somewhere between medium and medium high light. It'll be borderline as to whether you need carbon supplementation, so the Flourish Excel is definately a good idea.

As Rich and Leoslizards stated, Vals and Anacharis are the two main plants that have been reported as being sensitive to Flourish Excel. There has been some reports that a few other plants may be sensitive as well, but nothing conclusive.

For what it's worth...I have both corkscrew val and dwarf sag in a tank being treated with Excel. No problems. When I asked that question before someone told me they'd done ok with corkscrew val but the jungle val melted on them. Everyone seems to agree that anacharis is a no-no with Excel (or vis-versa)

Thanks Everyone for their advice!

I think I've killed off most of the bacteria in my tank with the gravel and water changes, so I'm going to give it at least a week before I start putting plants in.

I'll be sure to post pictures and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
David

Back
Top Bottom