12 Gallon Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they get to about 5- 6 inches. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get all the best options possible for my tank :)

Oh don't worry about questions, ask away! I personally ask a ton of questions as well. It's the only way to get answers ! People go through all sorts of different stock ideas- I think I am on my 5th stock list for my 29 now.... went through about 4 different ones for the 10. Probably would have been more if I wouldn't have bought my dwarf puffer on an impulse buy lol

I think they get to about 5- 6 inches. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get all the best options possible for my tank :)

You should be fine with a BN pleco actually, I had one in my 20G long and he never got bigger then 2-3in so he would fit fine in a 10G.

If not otos are nice bottom feeders, if you get a nice school of them, around five, they are really fun to watch.

Dwarf puffer fish look so cute, I was researching about them just this week, I cant believe how tiny they are lol

The past few weeks I have been looking for otos but none of the LFS' have them, I wasnt happy because they are really sweet looking :) If I could get away with a BN then that would be better, it could be my centerpiece fish xD lol

Yes I really enjoy my Dwarf Puffer. They have amazing personalities. If my otos don't work out I think I am going to try a BN pleco or a pitbull pleco.

One thing about the otos, they are fragile at first. Not sure if I have told you this or not already, I have posted it a few places... but make sure you get the healthiest ones you can see and try and get ones that have been in the store for a while. I have 2 left out of 5 and one is pretty lethargic. The only one that seems is the healthy is the only one I was worried about when I got them all -_-

Dwarf puffer fish look so cute, I was researching about them just this week, I cant believe how tiny they are lol

The past few weeks I have been looking for otos but none of the LFS' have them, I wasnt happy because they are really sweet looking :) If I could get away with a BN then that would be better, it could be my centerpiece fish xD lol

Make sure you research feeding for dwarf puffers as well, i've heard they are picky and if they don't get what they want they will simply just starve themselves. Also they will live long with some salt in the water so if you do that that will limit your other fish choices.

And you could easily get away with a BN pleco in your tank.

Make sure you research feeding for dwarf puffers as well, i've heard they are picky and if they don't get what they want they will simply just starve themselves. Also they will live long with some salt in the water so if you do that that will limit your other fish choices.

And you could easily get away with a BN pleco in your tank.

Dwarf puffers are strictly freshwater fish. They need no salt whatsoever. They eat brine shrimp, and love snails. They don't like flake food but they would eat bloodworms or tubifex also.

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

Last edited:
I would not recommend a BN pleco for a 12 gallon tank. I had one once that was easily 5 inches total length, and bulky. I felt bad about keeping it in a 20 gallon. ;)

At any rate, the waste produced by a pleco can easily overwhelm a small tank. I'd say 20 gallons minimum for any small pleco.

severum mama, do you know of any other algae eating fish that would be small enough for a small tank? I know CAE's but I don't think my puffer would get along with one of those...

CAE's actually get pretty large eventually. ;)

I've kept DPs with otos and they did fine, but I guess you're not able to get them yet, lol.

yes i think i figured out why mine are dying though... 3/5 so far. I see white worms floating in the water. I don't have any parasite meds though, all I have is salt and heat :( After this fiasco that tank is getting completely done over. Poor little otos :(

Sounds like planaria, nothing harmful to fish. The situation with the otos just sounds like stock that was in poor health when you got them.

it seems an alright stocking list,for bottom feeders i would go for some little cories maybe panda or any small ones you can find i seem to find alot of panda as i live in uk lol,or a small pleco maybe a bristlenose or any smaller ones that you can find,just make sure you dont get a common pleco as they will grow far to large for your tank as i found out in 1 of my tanks :L also my girlfriend has a tank with some black skirt terta they seem quite nice not very coulourful but school together good luck and hope it goes well

Oh yeah, dwarf cories would be OK, the only thing with them is that they like to be in larger groups. I think it could turn out OK with 6 of them.. but then that wouldn't leave a lot of room for other fish IMO

We have lots of different choices of cories in my LFS but I'm not really a fan of them, they are cute but just boring IMO lol.

I used to have a common pleco actually when I was younger and it terrified me, when it died my mother told me she flushed it down the toilet and I was too scared to go after that lmao We have kept black skirt tetra before aswell and they were pretty cool, I have been thinking about getting them but I want colourful fish for the tank and as my tank background is pretty dark I doubt I would be able to see them very well lol

I thought I had sorted my stocking list, there just so many different options its annoying lol

Logansmomma - I had CAE before and they are incredible they cleaned my tank in about 2 days which was pretty bad because I was saving the algae for otos lol but I heard they can turn nasty and when the algae runs out and they are not fed,etc they can turn on your fish for their slime coat, also I heard that they can suck holes in the fish. Now I dont know if this is true but I weren't taking any chance lol

So this is my BN pleco, Ozzie :) Not sure if its a male or female yet but its so darn cute and only an inch or so big lol Its not a very good picture but this is something I snapped before it went in to hiding lol

Attachments

• DSCI0007.JPG
    DSCI0007.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom