12 gallon long lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering starting up a 12 gallon long high tech tank, but I am stuck on which lighting will do the job without creating an algae farm. I like the Finnex models, however the ray 2 seems to put out a lot of light. Current USA Trulumen fixture also puts out quite a lot and in the middle are the Finnex Fuge ray and current USA satellite freshwater plus fixtures. Help please! I've been searching around but nothing on a shallow depth tank has come up

Satellite Freshwater LED+ | Current-USA

Attachments

• finnex fugeray.jpg
    finnex fugeray.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 76
Finnex has a fixture (maybe two) that are brighter than the FugeRay but less them the Ray2. I think it is called the Planted +.
Are either of the current USA models capable of dimming? That would be nice.

I know the Satellite+ is dimmable and I believe you can buy something to be able to dim the Truelumen. The planted+ was the finnex one I was referring too. I am leaning on the side of the Satellite+ because it has some really cool features that come with the remote control, and it is so neat and tidy looks wise. I just don't know if it will be putting enough PAR down to grow thick carpets

If you want to grow high light carpeting plants the Finnex ray 2 is the way to go. Otherwise the planted + is a great option. CO2 might be a bit more of a necessity when using a ray 2 though due to the high par levels.

I'm planning on using pressurized CO2, I'm just concerned the ray 2 is going to put down way too much light and cause algae issues. The ray 2 is 166 PAR @ 6" which to me seems like way over kill for a tank which is only 9.4" tall

Wow, I wasn't aware that that was such a short tank. The par levels read from the manufacturer is done through air rather than water so the actual par will be a bit lower. The Plant + would probably be just fine in your application then

yea the tank is 36" x 8.3" x 9.4" haha so the plant+ would be sufficient to grow Blyxa Japonica, HC and maybe UG? CO2, dosing etc.

I have the sat + on my 12 long and I have to say, it is the perfect light for that tank. I ran the ray 2 a while ago and could only keep it on for 4 hours a day. Go with the sat+, you won't be sorry! ;)

I was looking at your build thread and I am very impressed! You think the satellite + could keep the plants I mentioned earlier?

I was looking at your build thread and I am very impressed! You think the satellite + could keep the plants I mentioned earlier?

Yeah, you don't need a ridiculous amount of light to grow plants like most people think. As long as your co2 levels are good, you'd be fine with 30-40 par. I've grown blyxa under the sat+, and I'm currently growing out an HC carpet under it. I can't complain, plus, all the cool features it has, the ability to add their ramp timers, etc., the sat+ is the beezneez... ;)

perfect thank you, I do like all of the features the current has and for me that was the real feature that stood out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom