120 Gallon Stocking Feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am finishing a fishless cycle on a 120 gallon and would like some feedback on what I would like to stock with. I am already growing six silver dollars in my 36 gallon and plan to move them over. Along with them I have in mind to add the following:

1 kissing Gourami
1 (or maybe 2) blood parrot cichlids
3 angelfish?
and, (what I want very much)
a small group of clown loaches

Are there any problems with this grouping? I think I am running more than enough filtration for maximum stocking (2 canisters rated at 525gph), but want to make sure I am working with somewhat compatible fish and if so, how many clowns are really the minimum/max for this setup? Should I consider 3? Some people suggest five, but I don't want to take on too many. My list above might be around 130 inches of adult fish. Thoughts?

I would do red spot gold severums in stead of the parrots as long as u dont plan on live plants. They have a great personality and aren't hybrids.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

huge discus tank, heavily planted with some great drift would work making it look like roots are coming in from the top of the tank.

It's 60W x 18D x 24T
I think you could do 3-5 clown loaches in a 5ft tank. My bigger concern is how they would get along with the more docile members of the tank like the angelfish. I have never kept clown loaches with angels though so I can't speak from experience.

I would do red spot gold severums in stead of the parrots as long as u dont plan on live plants. They have a great personality and aren't hybrids.
+1 Putting my opinions on hybrids aside breeding a fish to specifically create deformities is fairly cruel. It amazes me that the blood parrots can swim and eat at all.

My hope was that the angels and clowns would work being that they theoretically hang out in different levels of the tank. As far as the blood parrot, I know they are hybrid but still am kind of fond of them. However, I would like to know more about the care and temperment of the Red Spot Gold Severum. They are beautiful fish!

I hope all I am considering will get along with my silver dollars. In my current 36 gallon, the silvers pretty much stick to each other and swim about as if no one else in the tank exists. I have some dwarf gouramis in there with some small tetras and 2 rams and the silvers ignore them all.

huge discus tank, heavily planted with some great drift would work making it look like roots are coming in from the top of the tank.

O, I am not sure I am an expert enough for discus or I would attempt it! LOL!

+1 !!! I like the way you think ????. But in all seriousness, they'd need to be adults in a tank that size. No rhyme or reason to have anything less and conduct the volume of WC's required to make them 10" beauties.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I only have little Java Fern started in the new tank since it will be housing silver dollars (they seem to ignore Java fern) I am using artificial plants (that look at real as I can get them). Currently, I hang blanched, whole romaine lettuce leaves in my 36 and the Silvers buzzweed it down to nubs overnight. Most live plants are off the table... :lol:

Three angels would beat each other up. two max. Also, Clowns tend to get really huge, and might eat some of your smaller fish, if you put any in.

And I am not 100% on this, but most cichlids are pretty territorial.

Three angels would beat each other up. two max. Also, Clowns tend to get really huge, and might eat some of your smaller fish, if you put any in.

Prolly won't put any really small fish in, but honestly I am new to Angels. I have heard they are touchy if they pair off so two isn't always best if they are male and female. Not sure how to approach that. Hmmm. REALLY want the clowns though, have 6 silvers and want 1 kisser. Angels would be a nice touch to try. Maybe one of my other tanks would house them if it doesn't work out? Otherswise, I have a local LFS that may take them. Is it too big a risk?

3 angels in a 5ft tank is probably going to work more times than it fails.

I would be more concerned about if the angels are compatible with the rest of your stock list.

Angels will beat each other up on a couple different reasons and that has nothing (or very little) to do with numbers. Actually they should alway be purchased in groups of three or more to help quell some of their aggression and for a hierarchy similar to Discus. Also, since it's very difficult to sex them at such a young age, you want more to help with the chance of NOT getting all males and having a total disaster in your tank.

All fish are territorial. It's just some are more dominant. Not all fish are aggressive. Cichlids happen to be both, and display it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

3 angels in a 5ft tank is probably going to work more times than it fails.

I would be more concerned about if the angels are compatible with the rest of your stock list.

Thanks dalto, if you have any concerns with my original stock list, what would they be? I know it can't be 100% perfect, but I want to eliminate any species that just wouldn't work. Again, I already own 6 silvers and definitely want the 3-5 clowns and then would love 1 kisser....so from there? Would the angels and the blood parrot/severum direction be in our out?

Severums are very personable and the angels should be fine with the clown loaches. I've had them together. The clowns will eventually out grow a 5 foot tank but are one of the slowest growing fish I know of. My sevs are very laid back but will nudge each other once in a while but are no more aggressive than the blood parrots. I really think the blood parrots would be more of a threat if their mouths were better formed. The silver dollars should be fine many sa/ca keepers use them as dither fish for shy larger fish to make them comfortable.

Severums are very personable and the angels should be fine with the clown poached. I've had them together. The clowns will eventually out grow a 5 foot tank but are one of the slowest growing fish I know of. My sevs are very laid back but will nudge each other once in a while but are no more aggressive than the blood parrots. I really think the blood parrots would be more of a threat if their mouths were better formed. The silver dollars should be fine many sa/ca keepers use them as dither fish for shy larger fish to make them comfortable.

Cool! Any opinion one way or another on adding 1 Kissing gourami?

Cool! Any opinion one way or another on adding 1 Kissing gourami?

That one I have no idea on. I know they get larger and I believe are on the aggressive side (I may be totally wrong on that). I will tell you this though silver dollars and severums together will be like having a lawnmower in your tank if there are any live plants.

That one I have no idea on. I know they get larger and I believe are on the aggressive side (I may be totally wrong on that). I will tell you this though silver dollars and severums together will be like having a lawnmower in your tank if there are any live plants.

Yes, because of the Silvers I have added (realistic looking) artificial plants, except Java Fern which the Silvers seems to ignore. I am of the mind to try a Kisser and see how it goes. If I have problems I know there are local fish dealers that might take it off my hands. However, I have read some people's good experiences with Kissers online when kept with similar sized tank mates. I think I am on the right direction there. If you have any other ideas let me know!

as far as the sevs go there are also a variant called super red severums that are more red than orange. I have never seen them except in pictures and videos but they are more colored like the parrots.

Back
Top Bottom