120 gallon tank. Brand new to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KissyKatt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1. If I have high light in a planted tank and no co2 will I have algae

2. If I have a co2 tank how many bps do i need or ppm? How long would a 10lb co2 tank last?

3. What kind of a bio load would a calgers map turtle carry in this size of a tank ... I think I spelled that right.

4. Since my tank is 120 gallons do I still need to do 50% water changes every week?

5. I was thinking about getting a fluval fx4 should I use chemi pure elite? Or is there better media?

6. Is a protein skimmer for saltwater or is it for freshwater too?

7. Can I use an air stone underneath a dirt and sand substrate with a carpet or would that not work?

8. I want a high light but I don't want white light I want a yellow kinda mimicking the sun , natural possibly UV is that an option, any recommendations?

9. I heard you can get water changers which really help but how do you get the right temp putting water back in? And wouldn't your tap water throw everything completely off?

10. Any other tips or warnings for a beginner is appreciated. Maybe things new people to the hobby do wrong or misconceptions. Im really trying to learn absolutely everything I can so I don't mess this up. 120 gallons is a lot of work to replace and costly too.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. If I have high light in a planted tank and no co2 will I have algae

TRUE. TURTLES WILL RIP UP MOST PLANTS. THERE ARE WAYS TO DO IT, BUT NOT A REGULAR PLANTED TANK.

2. If I have a co2 tank how many bps do i need or ppm? How long would a 10lb co2 tank last?

NO IDEA

3. What kind of a bio load would a calgers map turtle carry in this size of a tank ... I think I spelled that right.

HOW BIG IS THE TURTLE ? BIG BIOLOADS FOR BIGGER TURTLES.

4. Since my tank is 120 gallons do I still need to do 50% water changes every week?

DEPENDS ON YOUR WATER TESTS AND YOUR FERTILIZER SCHEDULE.

5. I was thinking about getting a fluval fx4 should I use chemi pure elite? Or is there better media?

I USE FILTER FLOSS AND BIOBALLS. NO IDEA ON THE CHEMI PURE

6. Is a protein skimmer for saltwater or is it for freshwater too?

SW

7. Can I use an air stone underneath a dirt and sand substrate with a carpet or would that not work?

NO. IT WOULD MAKE A MESS. NO DIRT IN A TURTLE TANK !!

8. I want a high light but I don't want white light I want a yellow kinda mimicking the sun , natural possibly UV is that an option, any recommendations?

TURTLES NEED ACTUAL UV BULBS. MADE FOR REPTILES. PLUS HEAT LAMPS AND A PULL OUT AREA UNDER THE HEAT.

9. I heard you can get water changers which really help but how do you get the right temp putting water back in? And wouldn't your tap water throw everything completely off?

RESEARCH AND I'll LEARN FROM YOU [emoji108]?

10. Any other tips or warnings for a beginner is appreciated. Maybe things new people to the hobby do wrong or misconceptions. Im really trying to learn absolutely everything I can so I don't mess this up. 120 gallons is a lot of work to replace and costly too.

DECIDE IF YOU WANT A TURTLE TANK OR A PRETTY PLANTED TANK. YOU CAN DO A COMBO, BUT NOT EASILY.

Thanks!

Sorry for the weird reply. My iPad isn't liking the app. My reply is in the quoted area

Friends don't let friends put Turtles in a planted tank. So that is the first thing to decide turtles or not then you ca get meaningful advice

I can't have a turtle? That's okay. Um more worried about my dwarf hairgrass

I can't have a turtle? That's okay. Um more worried about my dwarf hairgrass

DHG and Turtles don't mix. They'd rip it all up in a heartbeat.

Why are you worried about your DHG ?

What lights do you have now ?
How many hours ?
How tall is the tank ?
What fertilizers and what schedule ?

DHG does best with high light and injected CO2.
But that is a balancing act.

DHG is not easy to grow into a carpet. It frustrates a LOT of beginners. It doesn't frustrate me, because I don't try to grow carpets LOL

Back
Top Bottom