120 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody know what the estimated cost would be for a 120 gallon fish tank, gravel, hood, lights, stand, filter, and anything else I would need?

Well depends on your area and the seller but I'd pay 120$ for a 120g used tank. Maybe a little more or less depending. Other ppl will put in their input as well I'm sure.

As for substrate you can use pool filter sand or all natural clay granule non clumping non scented kitty litter, or you can do a dirted tank. All fairly cheap options.

could be anywhere between 300 - thousands of dollars

vanimal said:
Ok what kind of filter would I need?

Depends on the kind of tank you want and bio load of the tank but you can build a wet/dry filter with an overflow for fairly cheap as well. I'm guessing you want to keep this on the cheaper side right? If not a good way to determine the flow rate of a filter you need is your tank in gallons times 5 to find the filter gph flow rate u need. 120x5 is 600gph at least u need. Other ppl will have other opinions I'm sure. Canister filters are nice but expensive so look into them used. Look at my "almost 100% 40g build" thread if you want to see a DIY filter build. You can upscale it for your tank if you want to do it obviously. Lol. Lights depend once again on what u want in your tank.

Well check out the thread I mentioned. And if you have questions lemme know.

In Dallas they range from $100-$2000 depending of stands/condition/accessories and if its freshwater or saltwater set up. I payed less than $500 for a complete 100g from my LFS brand new.

What's your set up going to be FW or SW?

Mark388 said:
In Dallas they range from $100-$2000 depending of stands/condition/accessories and if its freshwater or saltwater set up. I payed less than $500 for a complete 100g from my LFS brand new.

What's your set up going to be FW or SW?

Wow my lfs sells a complete 100 gallon for 2000$

Used I can get one for about 5-600$

Ya I got the tank/stand for cost and got all the equipment on sale. Also helps when your a regular and can get the special treatment lol.

vanimal said:
I will be doing freshwater.

Then depending in where you live I wouldn't pay more then $300-$500 for a complete setup. Stand/tank/equipment/substrate.

Where are you located?

Search your Craigslist for a deal. Miami or Orlando will probably provide better deals and more options. So depending on the drive it might be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom